Saturday, June 14, 2014

Wildfire At Midnight



Wildfire At Midnight by Mary Stewart takes place at the time of the coronation of Elizabeth II in 1953.  The main character, Gianetta Drury, a young woman in her twenties who is divorced and a fashion model, decides to leave the chaos of London for a small lodge on the Isle of Skye in Scotland.

Once she has arrived at the lodge, Gianetta learns that there has been a murder of a young woman earlier in the month.  Also, she discovers that her ex-husband is a guest at the lodge.  There are several other couples staying at the lodge along with Roderick Grant, the dark handsome mysterious Scotsman.  In the course of her stay, two other murders occur.

What I liked about this book was the setting of the remote Isle of Skye.  Stewart’s descriptions of the landscape are vivid.  I found it easy to be transported there.  If you are looking for atmosphere, this book has it all—misty mountains, dangerous mountainsides, and fog that rolls in quickly.  Also, the motive for the murders was different and interesting. 

This book is a quick read, and a good example of why Mary Stewart was such a great storyteller.

I was saddened to learn of Mary Stewart’s recent death.  Below is a link to her obituary from The Daily Telegraph:

What is your favorite Mary Stewart novel?


2 comments:

  1. I can't believe I only discovered Mary Stewart this year, thanks to other bloggers. I've now read several of her books, and enjoyed them all, especially Nine Coaches Waiting, The Ivy Tree, This Rough Magic, and The Moonspinners. I'm posting some thoughts soon!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Before this novel, I'd only read The Ivy Tree and really liked it. I'll look forward to reading what you have to say about her books! Thanks for commenting!

    ReplyDelete