Tuesday, July 22, 2014

Literary Quotes About Paris

I'm participating again this week in the Paris in July Challenge over at Thyme for Tea. Today, I'm including some literary quotes about Paris:


"Fair, fantastic Paris."
Elizabeth Barrett Browning, Aurora Leigh. Bk. vi, 1. 81.


"The cafe of Europe."
Abbé Galiani, Epigram.


"Paris is nothing but an immense hospitality."
Victor Hugo, Appeal to German Army to Spare Paris, 1870.


"All Paris goes to see it. (Tout Paris va voir.)"
Molière, L'Impromptu de Versailles, Sc. 5, 1. 75.


"You who have ever been to Paris, know;
And you who have not been to Paris--go!"
John Ruskin, A Tour Through France, St. 12.


One of my favorite quotes about Paris isn't a literary quote, but it makes so much sense to me:

"Paris is always a good idea."
Audrey Hepburn (from the film "Sabrina")

I'm including Cary Grant and Audrey Hepburn in the 1963 film "Charade," set in Paris because Cary Grant is always a good idea.

Do you have a favorite quote about Paris?



5 comments:

  1. I love those quotes and photos! My favorite Paris quote is from "A Moveable Feast": "If you are lucky enough to have lived in Paris as a young man, then wherever you go for the rest of your life, it stays with you, for Paris is a moveable feast."

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love that Hemingway quote. Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  2. Ah, you've already got my favourite quote - from Sabrina. Great idea for a post!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello, Tamara, and welcome! Glad you liked the post!

      Delete
  3. Unfortunately, Janet Flanner's title "Paris was Yesterday" seems to be more and more relevant. It's a wonderful place -- but not the one-and-only center of culture, diplomacy, and gastronomy that it was.

    ReplyDelete