Tuesday, August 12, 2014

First Chapter First Paragraph Tuesday Intros: The Last Time I Saw You

Happy Tuesday! Today, I'm taking part in First Chapter First Paragraph Tuesday Intros at Bibliophile by the Sea in which someone can share the first paragraph from Chapter 1 of a book that one has read or is about to read. Today, my selection is The Last Time I Saw You by Eleanor Moran, published in 2013. This is a selection from my summer reading list that I'm about to start.



A little bit about this novel from the book jacket:

"When Olivia Berrington gets the call to tell her that her best friend from university has been killed in a car crash in New York, her life is turned upside down. Her relationship with Sally was an exhilarating roller coaster, until a shocking betrayal drove them apart. But if Sally really had turned her back, why is her little girl named after Olivia?

As questions mount about the fatal accident, Olivia is forced to go back and unravel their tangled history. But as Sally's secrets start to spill out, Olivia's left asking herself if the past is best kept buried."

The first chapter is a couple of sentences, so I've decided to share the first two paragraphs of Chapter 1:

"Tuesday's not the kind of day you expect your life to change for ever. That feels like a job for Friday, or Saturday - a flashier, shinier day that has surprise sprinkled over its surface like hundreds and thousands.

This particular Tuesday I'm doing the end of the day soft-shoe shuffle, glancing between the clock, my computer screen and my bat-shit scary boss Mary, trying to work out which will give way first. It's a huge, retro-looking wall clock, with thick black hands that are currently crawling sluggishly towards six thirty. The wall behind it is papered with pastel pink roses, and the room is peppered with big velvet sofas that are designed to encourage the kind of impromptu brainstorms and shared confidences that never quite seem to happen. Mary presides over the room from her huge glass desk at the top, mistress of all she surveys. It's like a twisted sort of nursery - soft on the outside, with an underlying air of menace."

What do you think? Would you keep reading? My review is coming soon!


14 comments:

  1. Sounds interesting! I would continue on...
    Today I'm featuring Sisterland by Curtis Sittenfeld.
    http://mytime2read.blogspot.com/2014/08/tuesday-memes-sisterland.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. This sounds like a great beach read! Complicated friendships and buried secrets are always fun!
    Here's my combined Top Ten and Tuesday Intro: http://www.sarahsbookshelves.com/fiction/top-ten-tuesday-books-im-sure-want-read-tuesday-intro/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Sarah! Thanks for stopping by. I think this book likes like a good beach read, too.

      Delete
  3. I would keep reading. I like the "voice" of the narrator and want to know more.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This sounds very promising... I'd keep going!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your comment, JoAnn! I'm looking forward to seeing what happens next.

      Delete
  5. I agree with Wendy -- I like the narrator's voice. And I really like the last sentence in the paragraph you posted.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Irene, thanks for your comment! I've read good things about this novel, so I'm looking forward to getting started on it!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Monica, I'm happy to see a new face this week. Thanks

    I like the intro and would keep reading - the title is new to me.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I really do like the first two sentences - that a Tuesday is not really the day to change your life. It made me smile but also very curious to continue.
    Peggy @ The Pegster Reads

    ReplyDelete
  9. I would keep reading as I am drawn to book like this.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Yes, I would keep reading. Don't think I like Mary or that environment.

    ReplyDelete