Tuesday, August 19, 2014

First Chapter First Paragraph Tuesday: The Hand That First Held Mine

Happy Tuesday! I had so much fun last week with First Chapter First Paragraph Tuesday Intros at Bibliophile by the Sea that I'm back again. This is the place where someone can share the first paragraph from Chapter 1 of a book that one has read or is about to read. 

My selection today is The Hand That First Held Mine by Maggie O'Farrell, published in 2010.



From the book jacket:

"Lexie Sinclair cannot wait for her life to begin. She escapes to London and takes up with magazine editor Innes Kent, thriving amid the artists and writers of post-war Soho. Later, in present-day London, a painter named Elina dizzily navigates the first weeks of motherhood as her boyfriend, Ted, finds fatherhood calling up lost memories that don't match his family's stories. but Ted's search for answers may reveal something that connects these two women--something heartbreaking and beautiful that none of them could have ever expected.

A gorgeous, spellbinding story of love and motherhood, this is an extraordinary portrait of how even our most accidental legacies connect us."

Here is the first paragraph of Chapter 1:

"Listen. The trees in this story are stirring, trembling, readjusting themselves. A breeze is coming in gusts off the sea, and it is almost as if the trees know, in their restlessness, in their head-tossing impatience, that something is about to happen."

Should I keep reading?


5 comments:

  1. I've heard great things about this author. I would keep reading!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your comment! Last year, I read one of Maggie O'Farrell's books, The Vanishing Act of Esme Lennox, and I really enjoyed it. So, I think I will keep reading this one.

      Delete
  2. Well, it's tempting to read on just to find what is going to happen! I would give it at least a few pages.

    On another topic, I tagged you in my first-ever video post in case you would like to join in sharing your reading habits (a video response is COMPLETELY optional!)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi, Lory! Thanks for stopping by!

    As for sharing my reading habits, I'll be happy to, but I'm not sure about the video response part! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The video part is COMPLETELY optional! If you would like to answer some or all of the ten questions, you are welcome to do so in any form you wish. I hope youll consider it. (Sorry, my apostrophe key is not working.)

      Delete