Monday, August 25, 2014

My Reading Habits



Talking about reading habits seems to be a popular thing to do as I've seen several book bloggers answering questions on the subject. I've been asked by Lory at The Emerald City Book Review to answer some questions about my own reading habits. Lory did a fantastic video about what she's up to with her reading, but I'm not quite brave enough to make a video, so my answers are below.

1. Do you have a certain place for reading at home?
I read either downstairs in the living room on the couch or upstairs in bed.

2. Do you use a bookmark or a random piece of paper?
Both. Sometimes I use a piece of paper. Lately, I've been making use of a couple of paper bookmarks. I do have a few really nice bookmarks that I hesitate to use because I'm afraid I'll lose them.

3. Can you just stop reading or does it need to be at the end of a chapter or a certain number of pages?
Most often I stop at the end of the chapter. Sometimes, if I'm really tired, I stop where I am.

4. Do you eat or drink while reading?
I have a drink, but most of the time, I get so engrossed in the story that I'm not good at doing other things while I read.

5. Do you read one book at a time or several at once?
I have more than one book going at a time. I keep one book upstairs and one book downstairs. At some point, one of the books usually becomes more interesting, and then the upstairs/downstairs thing no longer applies because I have to finish that book. Then, it's kind of nice to finish one book and be involved in another book. 

6. Do you read out loud or silently in your head?
I read silently. 

7. Do you ever read ahead or skip pages?
I don't read ahead or skip pages, although I am known to skim pages if there is a slow section because I'm anxious to get on with the story.

8.  Breaking the spine or keeping it new?
My intent is never to break the spine, but it does happen.

9. Do you write in your books?
No.

10. What are you currently reading?


I'm deep into the last of my summer reading, The Last Time I Saw You by Eleanor Moran, and I'm really enjoying the novel.



Also, I'm coming to the end of a read along of Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen. I've read several Austen novels but never got around to reading this one.


And I recently started What's It Like Out? by the English writer Penelope Gilliatt, and the book is a collection a short stories originally published in 1968. I'd never heard of her but came across this Virago Modern Classics edition at a recent used book sale I went to. So far, I like what I've read.

Thanks so much, Lory, for asking me to participate in answering the questions!

No comments:

Post a Comment