Tuesday, August 26, 2014

Top Ten Tuesday: Books I Want To Read But Don't Own Yet

Happy Tuesday! I'm taking part in the Top Ten Tuesday at The Broke and the Bookish where the task is to name ten books that I want to read but don't own yet. My selections are made up of fiction and non-fiction, in no particular order:



The French Chef Cookbook by Julia Child because I want to add this to my collection of cookbooks.

The Mystery of Mercy Close by Marian Keyes. I love reading about the Walsh sisters, and this is the latest about Helen.

Mae Murray: The Girl with the Bee Stung Lips by Michael Ankerich is a biography of one of the stars of the silent film era who had quite an exciting life and apparently her star fell quickly. 

The Love-charm of Bombs by Lara Feigel is a choice because of my continuing interest in how war affects the lives of writers and influences literature. This book got my attention because of the description from Amazon of how the war in London became a "vivid source of inspiration, the blazing streets scenes of exhilaration in which fear could transmute into love. In this powerful chronicle of literary life of the Blitz, Lara Feigel vividly conjures the lives of five prominent writers: Elizabeth Bowen, Graham Greene, Rose Macaulay, Hilde Spiel and the novelist Henry Green."

Longbourn by Jo BakerI've read a lot of good things about this book about the lives of the servants at Longbourn. 


I discovered Maddie Grigg a couple of years ago through her wonderful blog, The World from My Window. Her book, A Year in Lush Places, has gotten rave reviews, and I'm looking forward to getting a copy of it.

Deborah Crombie's latest Duncaid Kincaid/Gemma James mystery, To Dwell in Darkness, comes out in September. This is a fantastic series. 

I love British writer Hazel Osmond's writing, and she does a marvelous job with romantic comedy. There is usually something in one of her books that makes me laugh out loud. I've pre-ordered her latest book, The Mysterious Miss Mayhew, which will be out in paperback in November.

Frances Spalding is a leading expert on the Bloomsbury Group and has curated the exhibit about Virginia Woolf at the National Portrait Gallery in London. Her book associated with this exhibit is Virginia Woolf: Art, Life and Vision.  

And then there is the anthology of Women's Writing of the First World War. I really liked reading Vera Brittain's Testament of Youth, and it has made me curious about the writing of other women during World War I.

What books are on your list?

No comments:

Post a Comment