Tuesday, September 30, 2014

First Chapter First Paragraph Tuesday Intros--Big City Eyes

Happy Tuesday! I'm participating in First Chapter First Paragraph Tuesday Intros at Bibliophile by the Sea. My selection is a recent purchase at a used book sale, BIG CITY EYES by Delia Ephron, published in 2001.




The first chapter:

"I moved to Sakonnet Bay to save Sam. I woke up with the idea. It had been one of those problem-solving nights. Having fallen asleep in a state of intense distress, I awakened with the notion that if I uprooted my life for three years, I could avert disaster."

What do you think? Should I continue?



16 comments:

  1. You had me at Ephron...I'd keep reading.

    My Tuesday post: http://www.bookclublibrarian.com/2014/09/first-chapter-first-paragraph-77-and.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. Somehow I don't think the move is going to go quite the way the protagonist things. Great opening! I would keep reading.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree that it's a great opening. Thanks for your comment!

      Delete
  3. I love books by any and all of the Ephrons...and actually read this one a while ago. It was on my stacks a long time, and then I wondered why I'd waited. Thanks for sharing, and here's mine: “THE CORN MAIDEN”

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad to know it's a good read. I also have a couple of books by Nora Ephron I'm looking forward to reading. Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  4. I am adding this to my list of books to check out!
    Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The opening made me curious. Why does Sam need to be saved? Why would someone move to a place for three years? Why would that avert disaster? Lots of questions raised in that first paragraph!
    Here's the link to my Tuesday post: SUMMERTIME.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree that it has a great opening and so much to find out! Thanks for your comment!

      Delete
  6. I like the opening and the cover is appealing, too. I'd keep going!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like the cover, too. I'm looking forward to getting farther into this book. Thanks for stopping by, JoAnn!

      Delete
  7. I like the intro and the cover is appealing, too. Would definitely keep reading!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Monica, this sounds great - I would read more. Enjoy

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm interested, that's some person who would uproot their whole life to avert disaster. I'd keep reading. Have a nice week! kelley—the road goes ever ever on

    ReplyDelete