Tuesday, September 23, 2014

Top Ten Tuesday: My Fall Reading List


Happy Tuesday! Today, I'm participating in Top Ten Tuesday at The Broke and The Bookish in which we are asked to name the top ten books to be read on our fall reading list. I'm excited to tell you about the books I plan to read:


1. Under A Silent Moon by Elizabeth Haynes (2014). I loved Haynes' debut novel, Into the Darkest Corner, and I'm excited about Under A Silent Moon which is the beginning of a new mystery series featuring Detective Chief Inspector Louisa Smith.

2. The Uninvited by Dorothy Macardle (1941). I love the 1944 classic film based on this novel about a sister and brother who leave London for a beautiful house in Cornwall which happens to be haunted. I'm curious to see if the book is as good as the film.

3. Custom of the Country by Edith Wharton (1997). This is another book that has been gathering dust on my bookshelf for far too long. This is the story of Undine Spragg, from the Midwest, who wants to be part of New York society.

4. Ghost Stories of Edith Wharton (1985) I'm excited about reading these ghostly tales by Edith Wharton. This collection has gotten good reviews.

5. The Wicked Girls by Alex Marwood (2012). I came across this psychological thriller last year and got it after reading an interview with Jojo Moyes who highly recommended it.



6. The Wedding by Dorothy West (1996), takes place in the 1950s and is the story of a prominent black family who gathers for the wedding of their daughter, Shelby, who is marrying a white jazz musician. 

7. Watermelon by Marian Keyes (1998). I've come to Keyes' books about the Walsh sisters beginning with Rachel's Holiday, but Watermelon is Keyes' first book and the first book about the Walsh sisters featuring the story of Claire.

8. Night and Day by Virginia Woolf (2003) is a novel set in London before World War I about a group of people beset by questions of love and marriage. The novel is supposed to have a fair amount of drama along with humor.

9. Pursuit of Love and Love in a Cold Climate by Nancy Mitford (2001). I've managed to collect a fair amount of books either by or about the glamorous Mitford sisters, and this edition with two of Nancy Mitford's humorous novels satirizing pre-World War II British society has been on my to be read list for awhile.

10. Daphne by Justine Picardie (2008) is a novel of historical fiction about the author Daphne du Maurier.

What books are on your fall reading list?

1 comment:

  1. Never heard of The Wicked Girls, adding it to my wish list.

    http://videoclimbersvariations.blogspot.com/2014/09/top-ten-tuesday-top-ten-books-on-my.html

    ReplyDelete