Tuesday, October 7, 2014

First Chapter First Paragraph Tuesday Intros--In a Summer Season

Happy Tuesday! Today I am participating in First Chapter First Paragraph Tuesday Intros at Bibliophile by the Sea where readers share the first paragraph (or more) of a book they are reading or considering reading.

My selection is a book that has been in my TBR pile for a long time--In a Summer Season by the British writer Elizabeth Taylor (1912-1975). Originally published in 1961, I have the a reprint edition from Virago Modern Classics from 2012. 



From the book jacket:

"Kate Heron is a wealthy, charming widow who marries, much to the disapproval of friends and neighbours, a man ten years her junior: the attractive, feckless Dermot. Then comes the return of Kate's old friend Charles - intelligent, kind and now widowed - with his beautiful young daughter. Kate watches happily as their two families are drawn together, finding Charles's presence reassuringly familiar, but slowly she becomes aware of subtle undercurrents that begin to disturb the calm surface of their friendship. Before long, even she cannot ignore the gathering storm . . ."

Here are the first two chapters of the book:

"'After all, I am not a young girl to be intimidated by her,' Kate decided, as she waited outside her mother-in-law's house. When she had reached the stage of thinking that if there were any intimidating to be done she might even do it herself, one of Edwina's foreign girls opened the door.

The house was in a terrace, leading off from a tree-filled London square, and Kate was always surprised to find how much quieter it was than the country. She followed the girl upstairs to the drawing-room. Facing her, as she turned the stairs, was a trompe-l'oeil panel, designed to lengthen the passage into an endless arcade with recurring statues of Roman emperors set on a black and white chessboard pavement. 'Only it doesn't trompe my oeil,' she thought."

What do you think?

16 comments:

  1. Not quite sure this is for me, but I laughed at the last line of the second paragraph.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love that line, too! Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  2. classic! i think this one is a should try for me. thanks for sharing, Monica!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm not sure about this one. I think I'd like to know a little more.
    Today I'm featuring Leaving Time by Jodi Picoult.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hmm, I have heard good things about this author...I must admit that when I first saw the author's name in bold, I thought this was another book about Elizabeth Taylor, the actress.

    Thanks for sharing...and here's mine: “THE BOOKSELLER”

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'd keep reading! Elizabeth Taylor's A Game of Hide and Seek has been on my shelf for a while now (beautiful VMC edition) and I must make time to give this author a try. Hope you enjoy it... can't wait to hear what you think.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Im not sure this one is for me, but hope you enjoy it!

    Here's Mine: http://www.sarahsbookshelves.com/top-ten-tuesday/top-ten-character-driven-novels-tuesday-intro/

    ReplyDelete
  7. When I saw the author's name, I thought of the famous actress and wondered if the book was about her! Sounds like it's much better than a Liz Taylor bio. I'm curious about "one of Edwina's foreign girls." What could that mean? And I like the character's reaction to the trompe-l'oeil panel. She sounds like an interesting woman.
    My Tuesday post features SAVING SHELBY SUMMERS.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree, Sandra, that the trompe-l'oeil comment is great. Thanks for visiting!

      Delete
  8. I am not familiar with the author at all, but this sounds like it would be an entertaining read.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I usually Virago classics, but this one didn't make me want to read on. Odd thing is, I've had Elizabeth Taylor on my to-read list for a long time. Maybe I should try more than just a few paragraphs. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm not a fan of Elizabeth Taylor so I probably wouldn't read it, I hope you enjoy it. Have a nice week! kelley—the road goes ever ever on

    ReplyDelete