Tuesday, November 4, 2014

First Chapter First Paragraph Tuesday Intros--Laura Lamont's Life in Pictures




Happy Tuesday! Today, I'm participating in First Chapter First Paragraph Tuesday Intros at Bibliophile by the Sea where readers share a bit about what they are reading or thinking of reading.

My selection is Laura Lamont's Life in Pictures by Emma Straub, published in 2012.

From the back cover of the book:


"In 1920, Elsa Emerson is born to the owners of the Cherry County Playhouse in Door County, Wisconsin. Elsa relishes appearing onstage, where she soaks up the approval of her father and the embrace of the audience. But when tragedy strikes her family, her acting becomes more than a child's game of pretend. While still in her teens, Elsa marries and flees to Los Angeles. There she is discovered by Hollywood Mogul Irving Green, who refashions her as an exotic brunette screen siren and renames her Laura Lamont. But fame has its costs, and while Laura tries to balance career, family, and personal happiness, she realizes that Elsa Emerson might not be gone completely. Ambitious and richly imagined, Laura Lamont's Life in Pictures is as intimate--and as bitter-than-life--as the great films of the golden age of Hollywood."  

The first paragraph of Chapter 1:

Summer 1929

"Elsa was the youngest Emerson by ten years; the blondest, happiest accident. It was John, Elsa's father, who was the most pleased by her company. His older daughters already wanted less to do with the Cherry County Playhouse, and it was nice to have Elsa skulking around backstage, her white-blond hair and tiny pink face always peeking out from behind the curtain. Elsa was a fixture, the theater's mascot, and the summer crowds loved her."

What to do you think? Would you keep reading? 


28 comments:

  1. I am definitely curious now...I can imagine that events will not play out very happily....thanks for sharing. And thanks for visiting my blog.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This sounds really interesting. I wonder if it is based on a true story. I would keep reading. Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm also curious about whether this is based on a true story. Thanks for your comment and for visiting!

      Delete
  3. Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Pat! I really appreciate it. I'm new to blogging, and I'm really enjoying it!

      Delete
  4. This one sounds interesting. I recently read another book set in Hollywood in the 'golden age', American Blonde. I wonder if this one is at all similar. I may pick this one up. Thanks for stopping by.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your comment. I'll have to look into American Blonde. I love that era of Hollywood! Thanks for visiting!

      Delete
  5. I like the premise of this one and liked the intro, but I was one of the few that thought Straub's The Vacationers (this summer) was completely overrated...so I think I'd have to wait to see some more reviews of this one.
    Thanks for stopping by today!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your comment. I haven't read anything by Emma Straub, but I totally forgot about The Vacationers. I remember the buzz about that book. Thanks for visiting!

      Delete
  6. This sounds like a fascinating book. I'm fascinated by this era, and I'm curious about the effect the Great Depression will have on the story.
    My Tuesday post features a Navajo mystery by Tony Hillerman: THE BLESSING WAY.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by, and thanks for your comment!

      Delete
  7. This sounds good! I love the Golden Age of Hollywood because the actresses seemed so self-contained and magnetic. But then their histories are very different from what we see on screen! I really like the beginning, it gives you quite a good insight into Laura's character! Thanks for stopping by :) Have a good week!
    Juli @ Universe in Words

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Juli! I love the Golden Age of Hollywood as well. Thanks for visiting today! Have a great week!

      Delete
  8. This sounds like a good one! The intro alone wasn't enough to draw me in, but add to it the description and I am interested.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your comment! I appreciate your stopping by today!

      Delete
  9. From the opening paragraph I doubt this one is something I would like but I'd read a bit more before deciding.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love the blurb...and the cover. I'd keep reading.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Catherine! I love the cover, too. Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  11. This sounds like a book I'd like.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Replies
    1. Thanks, Diane! Thanks for your comment and for hosting this. It's really fun to see what everyone is reading!

      Delete
  13. I was first attracted by that fabulous cover, but I also like the way the story starts. Yes, I'd like to read more.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your comment, Margot! I agree about the cover and the beginning. Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete