Tuesday, November 11, 2014

First Chapter First Paragraph Tuesday Intros--I Capture the Castle


Happy Tuesday! Today, I'm participating in First Chapter First Paragraph Tuesday Intros over at Bibliophile by the Sea, where readers share a bit about what they are reading or planning to read.

I Capture the Castle by Dodie Smith is a book that has been on my TBR pile for awhile. Originally published in 1948, my edition is the reprint from St. Martin's Press.

From the back cover of the book:

"I Capture the Castle tells the story of seventeen-year-old Cassandra and her family, who live in not so genteel poverty in a ramshackle old English castle. Here she strives, over six turbulent months, to hone her writing skills. She fills three notebooks with sharply funny yet poignant entries. Her journals candidly chronicle the great changes that take place within the castle's walls, and her own first descent into love. By the time she pens her final entry, she has "captured the castle"--and the hart of the reader--in one of literature's most enchanting entertainments."

Here is the first paragraph:

"I write this sitting in the kitchen sink. That is, my feet are in it; the rest of me is on the draining-board, which I have padded with our dog's blanket and the tea-cosy. I can't say that I am really comfortable, and there is a depressing smell of carbolic soap, but this is the only part of the kitchen where there is any daylight left. And I have found that sitting in a place where you have never sat before can be inspiring--I wrote my very best poem while sitting on the hen-house. Though even that isn't a very good poem. I have decided my poetry is so bad that I mustn't write any more of it."

What do you think? Should I keep reading?



23 comments:

  1. You captured my interest with the castle setting, of course, and the whole writer thing always intrigues me. Thanks for sharing...and I do want to know more. Here's mine: “INTO THE DARKEST CORNER”


    ReplyDelete
  2. I love it. I've read this one. Have no memory of what happened. So I will treat it like a non-read. I do know one thing. I've always wanted to reread it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad you liked it. I do love the narrator's voice, so I am looking forward to reading it. Thanks for visiting!

      Delete
  3. This book sounds fascinating. I love the idea of a family living in a castle, and reading the girl's journal entries sounds like fun, especially since she aspires to be a writer. The fact that the book was written in 1948 adds to my interest.
    My Tuesday post features THE LEGACY LETTERS.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your comment and for stopping, Sandra!

      Delete
  4. The premise of this one didn't really grab me, but I really liked the intro...particularly the narrator's voice. I'd keep reading...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really like the narrator's voice, too. Thanks for visiting today, Sarah!

      Delete
  5. I also have been meaning to read this one...and several years ago bought the same reprint you're reading. I know I'll get to it one of these days, so I hope you enjoy it now.

    My Tuesday post: http://www.bookclublibrarian.com/2014/11/first-chapter-first-paragraph-82-and.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your comment. This is a book that I've heard so much about, so I'm excited about reading it. Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  6. This reminds me a little bit of another book I recently read, The Moonlight Palace by Liz Rosenberg. I'm not sure if I'd keep reading. Thanks for stopping by!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not familiar with Moonlight Palace. I'll have to take a look at that. Thanks for your comment, Kim!

      Delete
  7. What a great intro and a book I have long meant to read --enjoy

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sounds good! I hope you are enjoying it.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I've had this on my To-Read list fir a long time. I like that first paragraph. I need to get to this one. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  10. It's been on my list for a long time, too. Thanks for stopping by, Margot!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I liked it, I'd keep reading. She sounds like a great character and a fun story are in between the covers of this book. Have a nice week. kelley—the road goes ever ever on

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your comment and for stopping by, Kelley! Have a great week!

      Delete
  12. I love the narrative voice in the opening paragraph. I would definitely keep reading.

    ReplyDelete