Tuesday, November 18, 2014

First Chapter First Paragraph Tuesday Intros--The Truth-Teller's Lie


Happy Tuesday! Today, I'm participating in First Chapter First Paragraph Tuesday Intros at Bibliophile by the Sea where readers reveal a bit about what they are reading or thinking about reading.

I've never read a book by Sophie Hannah, and the one I've got in my TBR pile is the psychological thriller, The Truth-Teller's Lie. The edition I have was published by Penguin Books in 2010, but this novel was also published under the title Hurting Distance. I've been on the fence about The Truth-Teller's Lie because from what I've read about it, people seem to love this novel, or because of the dark subject matter, they hate it. 

The book begins with an e-mail, and I've included the first paragraph:

"From: NJ<nj239@hotmail.com>
To: Speak Out and Survive
<survivorsstories@speakoutandsurvive.org.uk
Subject: This is not my story
Date: Mon, May 18, 2003 13:28:07 +0100

This is not my story. I'm not sure I want to share that, or my feelings, with strangers, on a website. It would seem phony, somehow. Phony and attention-seeking. This is just something I want to say, and your website gives no address for submitting letters."

Here is the first chapter of Part 1:

"2006
Part 1

Monday, April 3

I could explain, if you were here to listen. I am breaking my promise to you, the only one you ever asked me to make. I'm sure you remember. There was nothing casual about your voice when you said, 'I want you to promise me something.'"

From the back cover:

"Naomi Jenkins knows all about secrets: three years ago something terrible happened to her, so terrible that she's never told anyone about it. Now, Naomi has another secret: her passionate relationship with the unhappily married Robert Haworth. When Robert vanishes without explanation, Naomi knows he must have come to harm. But the police are less convinced, particularly when Robert's wife insists that he is not missing. In desperation, Naomi decides that if she can't persuade the detective that Robert is in danger, she'll convince them that he is a danger to others. Naomi knows how to describe the actions of a psychopath; all she needs to do is dig up her own traumatic past . . ."

What do you think? Would you keep reading?



10 comments:

  1. The snippets you shared have me curious...but I'd have to be in the right frame of mind to read this book if it's very dark.

    Thanks for visiting my blog.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I understand what you mean. Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  2. It's the back cover copy that snagged my attention and the implication that she's psychopath. (Or was she with someone who was?) Still, I'd have to be in the mood for this.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I took it to mean that she was with someone who was a psychopath, but we shall see. Thanks for visiting!

      Delete
  3. Hmm - I'm intrigued by this! I also like the title. I'd keep reading...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it is a great title. Thanks for for your comment!

      Delete
  4. Not crazy about the start but would definitely keep going. Just have a feeling this will be good.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I haven't read this author before, but you have my interest.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not familiar with Sophie Hannah's writing either, but I read something not long ago about her in connection with her new book which features Hercule Poirot. That got me curious about her books. Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete