Tuesday, November 25, 2014

First Chapter First Paragraph Tuesday Intros: A Cup of Tea by Amy Ephron


Happy Tuesday! Since it's Tuesday, that means it's time for First Chapter First Paragraph Tuesday Intros over at Bibliophile by the Sea where readers share a bit about what they're currently reading or might read in the future. I've chosen A Cup of Tea by Amy Ephron (1997).

Here are the two opening paragraphs:

"New York City
January, 1917

A young woman stood under a street lamp. It was difficult to make her out at first because she was standing almost in shadow and the mist from the ground, the rain, and approaching night made the air and the street seem similarly gray and damp. It was dusk. A light rain was falling.

A man walked up and solicited her. It startled her. She shook her head and turned away. Without another thought of her, he hailed a cab which stopped for him at once. She pulled the thin sweater, hardly protection from the rain, tighter around her shoulders as she stepped back from the curb to avoid the spray of dirt and water as the taxi pulled away."

From the back cover:

"Born to privilege, Rosemary Fell has wealth, well-connected friends, and a handsome fiance, Phillip Alsop. One cold and rainy night she sees, under a streetlamp, the mysterious Eleanor Smith huddled against the elements. In a moment of beneficence, Rosemary invites the penniless young woman home for a cup of tea.

Arriving on the scene, Phillip notices Eleanor warming herself by the roaring fire. When Rosemary sees them exchange an unmistakable look, she promptly sends the girl packing. But she's too late. In one brief moment, Rosemary's carefully sculptured life has cracked beyond repair . . .

Inspired by the classic Katherine Mansfield short story, A Cup of Tea springs to life from its rich cast of characters and brilliant evocation of the uncertain days of World War I. This darkly romantic novel engages us with impeccable plotting and a deep sense of foreboding, propelling us toward its shocking conclusion."

What do you think? Would you keep reading?


22 comments:

  1. I didn't love the intro, but the blurb sounds intriguing! I want to know how this homeless woman knows the socialite's husband and how she upends their lives.

    Here's mine: http://www.sarahsbookshelves.com/top-ten-tuesday/top-ten-books-winter-tbr-list-tuesday-intro-station-eleven-emily-st-john-mandel/

    ReplyDelete
  2. You had me at "Ephron." I love anything written by one of those talented sisters, and haven't actually read Amy yet...but now I'm curious.

    Here's mine: “THE NIGHTINGALE”

    ReplyDelete
  3. This isn't grabbing me, but I too am intrigued that it's written by an Ephron, so I might have to investigate. My teaser

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow! I've never heard of this one, but it sounds really good! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like the time period. The intro did not grab me, but I would keep reading to see if I was sucked into the book.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love the World War I time period, too. Thanks for your comment!

      Delete
  6. I read this years ago and have a vague positive memory... nothing specific though. Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm intrigued. Yes, I'll read this one.
    My Tuesday post features RAINSHADOW ROAD.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I want to read this one. I love the early New York setting.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sorry for being so late with commenting today! I really enjoy Katherine Mansfield's short stories but I don't think I've read this one yet! Onto Google! But I really like the sound of the intro, so I would definitely want to keep reading to see what happens!
    Thanks for sharing :) have a great week!
    My Tuesday Post
    Juli @ Universe in Words

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by, Juli, and I hope you have a great week!

      Delete
  10. The intro is so so, but the cover and author makes me want to try it. enjoy

    ReplyDelete