Tuesday, December 2, 2014

First Chapter First Paragraph Tuesday Intros--Pigeon Pie by Nancy Mitford


Happy Tuesday! I'm participating in First Chapter First Paragraph Intro Tuesdays hosted by Diane over at Bibliophile by the Sea where readers reveal a bit about what they're reading or thinking about reading. 

My selection is Nancy Mitford's 1940 satire, Pigeon Pie

From the back cover:

"In Pigeon Pie--set at the outbreak of World War II--Lady Sophia Garfield dreams of becoming a beautiful spy yet manages not to notice a nest of German agents right under her nose. That is, until the murder of her maid and the kidnapping of her beloved bulldog force them on her attention, and her actions prove heroic."

Here is the opening paragraph:

"Sophia Garfield had a clear mental picture of what the outbreak of war was going to be like. There would be a loud bang, succeeded by inky darkness and a cold wind. Stumbling over heaps of rubble and dead bodies, Sophia would search with industry but without hope, for her husband, her lover and her dog. It was in her mind like the End of the World or the Last Days of Pompeii, and for more than two years now she had been steeling herself to bear with fortitude the hardships, both mental and physical, which must accompany this cataclysm." 

What do you think? Would you keep reading?


22 comments:

  1. This definitely sounds cheeky. Hope you enjoy it. Here's Mine

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds good! I love the sound of the excerpts. Thanks for sharing...and for visiting my blog.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your comment and for stopping by!

      Delete
  3. The cover is awesome. I would keep reading.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've enjoyed several books by Nancy Mitford, but I've never read this one. Love the opening, so I'd definitely go on reading. Thanks so much for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad to know that you've enjoyed Nancy Mitford's books. I've managed to accumulate all of her novels, but I haven't read any of them yet. This will be the first, and I'm excited. Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  5. Sophia sounds like an interesting character with an unrealistic and romantic outlook on war. I'd definitely keep reading to find out more about her. The book cover's Art Deco feel appeals to me too.
    My Tuesday post features TRAIL MIX.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your comment and for visiting, Sandra!

      Delete
  6. This sounds so good... can't wait to hear more about it!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for reminding me of Nancy Mitford. I read one of her novels a while back and really enjoyed it. This one sounds very entertaining.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad to hear that you enjoyed reading one of Nancy Mitford's books. Thanks for visiting!

      Delete
  8. Lately, I can't seem to get interested in anything set around WWII. The market seems saturated with historical fiction in that time period.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I haven't read many books in this era, but it sounds really good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I'm hoping it will be as good as it sounds. Thanks for your comment!

      Delete
  10. Replies
    1. Thanks! I hope you're having a good week, Kelley!

      Delete