Tuesday, December 16, 2014

First Chapter First Paragraph Tuesday Intros: Christmas Pudding


Happy Tuesday! I'm participating in First Chapter First Paragraph Tuesday Intros, hosted by Diane at Bibliophile by the Sea, where readers share a bit about what they're reading or thinking of reading. It's really fun, and anyone can join in.

Continuing on with reading books that are set at Christmastime, I'm back with a Nancy Mitford comedy, Christmas Pudding (1932). I've read a couple of chapters, and it's very funny.

Here is information about Christmas Pudding from the back cover of the book:

"In Christmas Pudding, an array of colorful characters converge on the hunt-obsessed Lady Bobbin's country house, including her rebellious daughter, Philadelphia, the girl's pompous suitor, a couple of children obsessed with newspaper death notices, and an aspiring writer whose first novel has been acclaimed as the funniest book of the year, to his utter dismay."

Here is the first paragraph from Chapter 1. This intro doesn't exactly grab me, but it's interesting because you can't tell from this opening just how funny Christmas Pudding is:

"There is a certain room in the Tate Gallery which, in these unregenerate days, is used more as a passage-way towards the French pictures collected by Sir Joseph Duveen than as an objective in itself. There must be many lovers of painting who have hurried through it countless times and who would be unable to name or even to describe a single one of the flowerings of Victorian culture which hang there, so thoroughly does the human mind reject those impressions for which it has no use."

What do you think? Would you keep reading?


16 comments:

  1. I have been enjoying this era lately...the woman on the cover of the book reminds me of young pictures of my mother...that hairstyle and those clothes. So I feel sentimental when reading from this time period.

    From the title, I am expecting funny moments...and the intro has a subtle kind of "funny" going on, I think, especially that last sentence. Thanks for sharing, and here's mine: “A FIREPROOF HOME FOR THE BRIDE”

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like the opening. This might be one comedy I might enjoy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am enjoying the book, and a comedy is always good this time of year. Thanks for visiting, Pat!

      Delete
  3. You're right -- this opening doesn't give any indication that the book is funny (and neither does the cover!) But after reading the back cover blurb, I think I'd enjoy the story. Sounds like the characters are definitely quirky.
    My Tuesday post features FAT CHANCE.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This sounds like it will be very good!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I would definitely keep reading...sounds good.

    You always seem to have a pick I like Monica...LOL enjoy

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sounds great, I would keep reading.

    ReplyDelete
  7. It really hasn't hooked me, but I'd read a little more to see if it could keep my attention.
    Thanks for stopping by.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I would keep reading and I like that cover.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by! I agree about the cover.

      Delete