Tuesday, December 30, 2014

First Chapter First Paragraph Tuesday Intros: Watermelon by Marian Keyes



Happy Tuesday and soon to be Happy New Year! I'm participating in First Chapter First Paragraph Tuesday Intros, hosted by Diane at Bibliophile by the Sea, where readers share a bit about what they are reading or thinking about reading.

My selection is Watermelon by Marian Keyes (1998), the first novel in her series about the five Walsh sisters. I haven't read the series in order, so my first introduction to the sisters was in Rachel's Holiday which was excellent. Last year, I read Anna's story, Anybody Out There? which was also great. Claire's story, Watermelon, has been in my TBR pile for quite awhile.

From the back cover:

"Claire has everything she ever wanted: a husband she adores, a great apartment, a good job. Then, on the day she gives birth to their first baby, James informs her that he's leaving her. Claire is left with a newborn daughter, a broken heart, and a postpartum body that she can hardly bear to look at. 

She decides to go home to Dublin. And there, sheltered by the love of a quirky family, she gets better. So much so, in fact, that when James slithers back into her life, he's in for a bit of a surprise."

From the prologue:

"February the fifteenth is a very special day for me. It is the day I gave birth to my first child. It is also the day my husband left me. As he was present at the birth I can only assume the two events weren't entirely unrelated.

I knew I should have followed my instincts."

What do you think? Should I keep reading?


12 comments:

  1. This sounds like a good series. I especially like the fact that Claire changes and her estranged husband is in for a surprise when he returns. (LOVE "slithers back into her life.")
    My Tuesday post features IN TOO DEEP.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, wow, this is a new-to-me series, but I love this kind of story. And I suspect, from the way the intro describes how James "slithers" back in, that he won't be all that welcome. I like it when characters have to pay in some way for their bad behavior...LOL.

    Here's mine: “ONE STEP TOO FAR”

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have a few choice words for that husband, and none of them are nice. This sounds like it would be a fun read.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So far, it has been a fun read. Thanks for your comment!

      Delete
  4. I loved this series. Hope you keep reading.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sounds good Monica, even though her husband seems like a jerk.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've had this one on my TBR for a long time. It sounds good.

    Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love this Walsh series, and you should definitely keep reading. It's not the best of the bunch but still very enjoyable.

    ReplyDelete