Tuesday, January 6, 2015

First Chapter First Paragraph Tuesday Intros--All My Puny Sorrows


Happy New Year, and happy Tuesday! I'm taking part in First Chapter First Paragraph Tuesday Intros, hosted by Diane at Bibliophile by the Sea, where readers share a bit about what they are reading or thinking about reading.

My selection is All My Puny Sorrows by Canadian writer Miriam Toews (2014).

From the back cover of the book:

"Elf and Yoli are sisters. While on the surface Elfrieda's life is enviable (she's a world-renowned pianist, glamorous, wealthy, and happily married) and Yolandi's a mess (she's divorced and broke, with two teenagers growing up too quickly), they are fiercely close--raised in a Mennonite household and sharing the hardship of Elf's desire to end her life. After Elf's latest attempt, Yoli must quickly determine how to keep her family from falling apart, how to keep her own heart from breaking, and what it means to love someone who wants to die."

In reading about the book, I learned that the title comes from from a poem by Samuel Taylor Coleridge:

"I too a sister had, an only sister--
She loved me dearly and I doted on her!
To her I pour'd forth all my puny sorrows."

The first paragraph of the book:

"Our house was taken away on the back of a truck one afternoon late in the summer of 1979. My parents and my older sister and I stood in the middle of the street and watched it disappear, a low-slung bungalow made of wood and brick and plaster slowly making its way down First Street, past the A & W and the Deluxe Bowling Lanes and out onto the number twelve highway, where we eventually lost sight of it. I can still see it, said my sister Elfrieda repeatedly, until finally she couldn't. I can still see it. I can still see it. I can still . . . Okay, nope, it's gone, she said."

What do you think? Would you keep reading?


28 comments:

  1. that's an interesting beginning, I'd read a bit more just to find out who took the house and why. Have a nice week. kelley—the road goes ever ever on

    ReplyDelete
  2. Seems like wanting to end a life is a theme this week. I've seen several reviews and teases with that storyline.
    Today I'm spotlighting The Girl Who Came Home

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love stories about families and their issues, and this book sounds like on that is full of them. Thanks for intriguing me, and enjoy.

    Here's mine: “CALL ME ZELDA”

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I meant to say "sounds like one that is full of them." LOL

      Delete
  4. I like the opening. Even though this sounds like a sad story, I would keep reading. Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I find the poem very moving. Makes me want to read the book.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree about the poem. Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  6. Sound like an emotional book. I do like ones about sisters/family.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like stories about sisters, too, and this one really got my attention. Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  7. That's a dramatic and unusual opening. I'd keep reading to find out how having their house moved affected both women, and to discover why Elf tried to commit suicide.
    My Tuesday post features LEARNIN’ THE ROPES.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I've never heard of this one, but I really liked the intro! I'd keep reading...

    Here's Mine: http://www.sarahsbookshelves.com/top-ten-tuesday/top-ten-2015-releases-tuesday-intro-dirty-chick-by-antonia-murphy/

    ReplyDelete
  9. At first I wasn't sure but having read the intro it does sound interesting - I think that one will have to go on the ever increasing TBR list :)

    Chippy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your comment and for visiting today!

      Delete
  10. I would keep reading. I like the writing. And such a pretty cover too!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I like the beginning of this one... would definitely keep reading. Will look forward to hearing more about it!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I told to like stories told through the eyes of a child (even a grown child). This sounds good Monica.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The reviews I've read of this book have been good, so I'm really looking forward to getting started on this book. Thanks, Diane!

      Delete
  13. This has possibility. I'd keep reading.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I would keep reading. I had a friend move a house from the country into their (small) town and they videotaped the process. Though, it never got out of sight.

    btw, I rescued your comment from spam! Not sure why WP thought it so spamcatcher-worthy... :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't imagine what a job it would be to move a house like that! Thanks for stopping by and for rescuing my comment! :)

      Delete