Tuesday, January 27, 2015

First Chapter First Paragraph Tuesday Intros: Living on Yesterday



Happy Tuesday! I'm participating in First Chapter First Paragraph Tuesday Intros, hosted by Diane at Bibliophile by the Sea, where readers share a bit about what they are reading or thinking of reading.

My selection is a Living on Yesterday (1951), written by Prague born writer Edith Templeton (1916-2006). My book is a reprint by Hogarth Press from 1986, and it was a book sale find. 

From the back cover:

"Edith Templeton's Living on Yesterday is a social comedy, beautifully played and full of surprise, revealing that the elegance of the Bohemian world of its setting is a mask for deep hatred and wild ambition.

Baroness Kreslov devotes a great deal of her time to good works and very little to her family and children. A bountiful hostess, she surveys her drawing-room as the general would the battlefield: over by the gilded chairs is the fascinating, if penniless, Count Szalay; while behind the potted palms lurks her eminently marriageable daughter, Hedy--as far as the Baroness is concerned, it is inevitable that the two meet. But for Hedy, the match promises a subtle revenge against her mother; and when revenge turns sour, undaunted, she takes her revolt one step further . . ."

From the opening of the book:

"The Baroness Kreslov had just taken off one glove and was unfastening the buttons of the other, when the noise started overhead.

A step behind her stood Joseph, slightly bent forward, with his right arm curved deferentially in readiness to receive her furs, and with his left arm pressed to the satin braid of his trouser.

Neither of them made the faintest move, and thus they remained for the next few seconds, while a man's voice shouted words which they could not distinguish, alternating with dull and heaving thuds. When a door on the landing above the stairs flew open and books were flung over the banisters and tumbled down the steps, they did not raise their eyes."

What do you think? Would you keep reading? A review is coming soon!


11 comments:

  1. Social comedy? I like that type of book from time to time, and by the sound of the intro, I would definitely read more.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It sounds interesting--different from what I typically read.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The novel been a bit different than I thought it would be, but I enjoyed it. Thanks for visiting!

      Delete
  3. "Social comedy" got my attention and the intro delivers, too. Interesting titles always turn up at book sales, I look forward to hearing more about this one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your comment, JoAnn! I've read several of Edith Templeton's books, but I think this one may be my favorite.

      Delete
  4. I'm not sure about this one...would probably read a bit more before making a decision. Like everyone else said, the "social comedy" label does intrigue me even though I'm not quite sure what it means!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I don't know about this one, but it has potential

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm not sure how long I would keep reading, but it sounds interesting enough to read a little more. I want to know why the books came flying over the bannister! Thanks for stopping by.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This sounds like a promising start but I'd have to read a little bit more to make my mind up - I'll look out for your review.

    ReplyDelete