Tuesday, February 17, 2015

First Chapter First Paragraph Tuesday Intros: Night and Day by Virginia Woolf


Happy Tuesday! Today I'm participating in First Chapter First Paragraph Tuesday Intros, hosted by Diane at Bibliophile by the Sea, where readers can share the opening of a book they are reading or thinking of reading. It's really fun to see what everyone's choices are, and anyone can participate!

Night and Day by Virginia Woolf is a book that that I've had on my TBR list for awhile. 

From Goodreads:

"Katherine Hilbery is beautiful and privileged, but uncertain of her future. She must choose between becoming engaged to the oddly prosaic poet William Rodney, and her dangerous attraction to the passionate Ralph Denham. As she struggles to decide, the lives of two other women--women's rights activist Mary Datchet, and Katherine's mother, Margaret, struggling to weave together the documents, events and memories of her own father's life into a biography--impinge on hers with unexpected and intriguing consequences. Virginia Woolf's delicate second novel is both a love story and a social comedy, yet it also subtly undermines these traditions, questioning a woman's role and the very nature of experience."

Here is the first paragraph:

"It was a Sunday evening in October, and in common with many other young ladies of her class, Katherine Hilbery was pouring out tea. Perhaps a fifth part of her mind was thus occupied, and the remaining parts leapt over the little barrier of day which interposed between Monday morning and this rather subdued moment, and played with the things one does voluntarily and normally in the daylight. But although she was silent, she was evidently mistress of a situation which was familiar enough to her, and inclined to let it take its way for the six hundredth time, perhaps, without bringing into play any of her unoccupied faculties. A single glance was enough to show that Mrs. Hilbery was so rich in the gifts which make tea parties of elderly distinguished people successful, that she scarcely needed any help from her daughter, provided that the tiresome business of teacups and bread and butter was discharged for her."

What do you think? Would you keep reading?



12 comments:

  1. I have wanted to read something by this author...I miserably failed at To the Lighthouse, which just didn't engage me. This one sounds like it might. Thanks for sharing...and here's mine: “YOU CAN TRUST ME”

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I first read To the Lighthouse in college and then again a couple of years ago. There were parts of it I really loved and other parts I didn't. But I am looking forward to reading something of Virginia Woolf's that seems to be a bit different. Thanks for your comment!

      Delete
  2. I do like the first paragraph but I didn't like the two books I've read by this author so I'm not sure I'd be tempted to read a third. I hope you enjoy the book. Kelley at the road goes ever ever on

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm embarrassed to say that I've never read Virginia Woolf, but I like the intro! I'd keep reading.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Sarah, for your comment and for stopping by!

      Delete
  4. I think I'd have to be in the right mood to read this. The language in the opening seems so formal and detached -- as if the writer is observing the scene from afar. I'd need to read more before deciding whether or not I'm interested in these characters.
    Thank you for visiting my blog today.
    Sandy @ TEXAS TWANG

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree with your comments. The first paragraph is what has kept me from reading this novel. But I had a chance to read more of the first chapter, and the story gets better and not quite so detached. Thanks for your comments and for stopping by!

      Delete
  5. I like the intro very much. I have wanted to read something by Woolf for some time now. She's one of those authors on my "must read someday" list.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I like the intro a lot, but haven't had much success with the author in the past. Hope you enjoy it Monica

    ReplyDelete