Tuesday, February 24, 2015

First Chapter First Paragraph Tuesday Intros: Girl on the Train by Paula Hawkins


Happy Tuesday! I hope that your week is going well so far. I'm participating in First Chapter First Paragraph Tuesday Intros, hosted by Diane at Bibliophile by the Sea, where anyone can share a bit about what they are reading or planning to read soon.

Today, I'm talking about The Girl on the Train by Paula Hawkins. This novel (which I'm about to start) is a selection of my book club, and I'll be reading the Kindle version.

From Goodreads:

"Rachel takes the same commuter train every morning. Every day she rattles down the track, flashes past a stretch of cozy suburban homes, and stops at the signal that allows her to daily watch the same couple breakfasting on their deck. She's even started to feel like she knows them. "Jess and Jason," she calls them. Their life--as she sees it--is perfect. Not unlike the life she recently lost.

And then she sees something shocking. It's only a minute until the train moves on, but it's enough. Now everything's changed. Unable to keep it to herself, Rachel offers what she knows to the police, and becomes inextricably entwined in what happens next, as well as the lives of everyone involved. Has she done more harm than good?"

The first paragraph:

"She's buried beneath a silver birch tree, down towards the old train tracks, her grave marked with a cairn. Not more than a little pile of stones, really. I didn't want to draw attention to her resting place, but I couldn't leave her without remembrance. She'll sleep peacefully there, no one to disturb her, no sounds but birdsong and the rumble of passing trains."

What do you think? Would you keep reading?


12 comments:

  1. Yes, definitely! I tend to avoid the current "hyped and hot" novels, but am curious about this one. Hope I don't linger on the library hold list for too long.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I read this one and enjoyed it. Hope you and your book club like it. There's certainly a lot to discuss.

    My Tuesday post: http://www.bookclublibrarian.com/2015/02/first-chapter-first-paragraph-95.html

    ReplyDelete
  3. I would...and I did. Loved it! Hope you enjoy it, too, and thanks for visiting my blog.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I would definitely keep reading. I've had my eye on this one. For some reason, I like a train in a mystery.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am eager to listen to this one! I have an audio copy. I just wish I didn't take so long to listen to audio books . . .

    ReplyDelete
  6. *sigh* My TBR list just keeps getting longer.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I read this one and liked it a lot. Didn't love it as much as some of the hyped, but definitely a solid 4 star read for me. I also wrote a spoiler discussion post about it whenever you finish!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I haven't read this one yet, but I am definitely wanting to pick it up at the library. Hope you enjoy it.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I liked this one, but did not love it. Hope u enjoy it Monica.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I read this a couple of weeks ago and thought it was good. Enjoy.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I've read this one and liked it a lot too, I hope you enjoy it :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. I've seen this book on a lot of blogs. I'm really curious about it. I hope you like it. Kelley at the road goes ever ever on

    ReplyDelete