Tuesday, March 17, 2015

First Chapter First Paragraph Tuesday Intros: The Soul of Kindness


Happy Tuesday and Happy St. Patrick's Day! I'm participating in First Chapter First Paragraph Tuesday Intros, hosted by Diane at Bibliophile by the Sea, where anyone can share the first paragraph of a book, either that the person is reading or thinking of reading.

My selection is The Soul of Kindness by British author Elizabeth Taylor, first published in the UK in 1964. My edition is a 2013 reprint by Virago.

From the back cover:

"The soul of kindness is what Flora believes herself to be. Tall, blonde, and beautiful, she appears to have everything under control; her home, her baby, her husband Richard; her friend Meg; Kit, Meg's brother, who has always adored Flora; and Patrick the novelist and domestic pet. Only the bohemian painter Liz refuses to become a worshipper at the shrine.

Flora entrances them all, dangling visions of happiness and success before their spellbound eyes. All are bewitched by this golden tyrant, all conspire to protect her from what she really is. All, that is, except the clear-eyed Liz: it is left to her to show them that Flora's kindness is the sweetest poison of them all."

The first paragraph:

"Toward the end of the bridegroom's speech, the bride turned aside and began to throw crumbs of wedding cake through an opening in the marquee to the doves outside. She did so with gentle absorption, and more doves came down from their wooden house above the stables. Although she had caused a little rustle of amusement among the guests, she did not know it: her husband was embarrassed by her behaviour and thought it early in their married life to be so; but she did not know that either."

What do you think? Would you keep reading?



10 comments:

  1. The opening is interesting. I immediately want to know more about Flora. From the blurb you shared, there is much more to her than first meets the eye--and it isn't necessarily good. I would keep reading.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've read the first two chapters, and the writing is subtle. Flora is interesting as is the dynamic between her and her husband.

      Delete
  2. Oh, yes, I like the description of the "golden tyrant." She sounds pretty scary, to me, hidden behind all those supposedly good qualities...and fooling almost everyone. I like Flora already!

    Here's mine: “GOLDBERG VARIATIONS”

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree, Laurel. So far, this looks like it will be a good read. Thanks for your comment!

      Delete
  3. I want to read Elizabeth Taylor and have the Virago edition of A Game of Hide and Seek. The intro you shared leaves me wanting more!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A Game of Hide and Seek is in my TBR pile, too. I love Elizabeth Taylor's writing, and I have a feeling that I'll have to read all her novels! Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  4. Very tempting indeed! I want to know what Liz sees in Flora that the other's don't. Here is my Tuesday post. https://cleopatralovesbooks.wordpress.com/2015/03/17/tuesday-first-chapter-first-paragraph-march-17/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I'm looking forward to seeing how all this will unfold. Thanks for your comment!

      Delete