Tuesday, March 24, 2015

First Chapter First Paragraph Tuesday Intros: Night Music by Jojo Moyes


Happy Tuesday! I hope you're having a good week so far. I'm taking part in First Chapter First Paragraph Tuesday Intros, hosted by Diane at Bibliophile by the Sea, where readers share the first paragraph of a book they're reading or thinking of reading soon.

My selection is Night Music by Jojo Moyes (2008). 

From the back cover:

"Isabel has always taken her gifted life for granted. But when her husband dies suddenly, leaving her with a mountain of debt, she and her two children are forced to abandon their home and move to a crumbling pile in the country.

With the house falling down around their ears, and the last of her savings fast disappearing, Isabel turns to her neighbours, not knowing that her mere presence there has stirred up long-standing obsessions.

As she fights to make her house a home, passions and lives collide. Isabel will discover an instinct for survival she never knew she had--and that a heart can play a new song . .  ."

The first two paragraphs:

"We never really belonged in the Spanish House. Technically, I suppose, we owned it, but ownership suggests some level of control and no one who knew us--or the house--could ever have suggested that we had any control over what happened there.

And despite what it said on those bits of paper, it never felt as if it truly belonged to us. It felt too crowded from the start. You could almost feel other people's dreams projected on it, sense the waves of envy, or distrust, or desire that permeated its walls. Its history was not our history. There was nothing--not even our dreams--binding us to it."

What do you think? Would you keep reading?


17 comments:

  1. I would definitely keep reading. Jojo Moyes is a great storyteller, and I must see if this one is available at my library.

    My Tuesday post: http://www.bookclublibrarian.com/2015/03/first-chapter-first-paragraph-99.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have several of her books in my TBR pile that I'm hoping to get to soon. Thanks for your comment!

      Delete
  2. Yes, I would keep reading. I've had this on my list for a while now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your comment! I hope that you enjoy the book as well.

      Delete
  3. Jojo Moyes never disappoints, so I would definitely continue.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've been curious about this book for awhile, but my TBR pile has grown so much! I've read enough of the book to know that it looks like it will be a good one.

      Delete
  4. Oh, wow, this is another of her back list that I must check out! Thanks! And here's mine: “SUMMER SECRETS”

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love that opening. I would keep reading. I haven't read anything by this author yet, but I see I need to remedy that soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I read Me Before You a couple of years ago, and I've managed to pick up a few other books of hers that I'm looking forward to reading. Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  6. I'm not a big supernatural person (it sounds like there is some of that here), so I'd normally shy away from this one, but I love Moyes and really liked the intro!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your comment, and thanks for visiting today!

      Delete
  7. That house must have lots of stories to tell about its inhabitants. I'd keep reading to find out more. Thank you for introducing me to this author.
    My Tuesday post features DEVIOUS.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love the cover and I would keep reading. Girl Who Reads

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow, terrific stuff, I love this author and would read more.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'd definitely keep reading. This sounds really good.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I've read this one :-) I did enjoy it, not quite as much as her more recent books, and there is no denying she is a terrific storyteller.

    ReplyDelete