Tuesday, March 31, 2015

First Chapter First Paragraph Tuesday Intros: The Scent of Water


Happy Tuesday to you! I'm participating in First Chapter First Paragraph Tuesday Intros, hosted by Diane at Bibliophile by the Sea, where readers share the first paragraph of something they're reading or thinking of reading soon.

My selection is The Scent of Water by Elizabeth Goudge (1963). I'm reading this novel for the upcoming Elizabeth Goudge Reading Week (April 24-30), hosted by Lory at Emerald City Book Review.

From Goodreads:

"Mary Lindsay is a born and bred Londoner who has enjoyed her city life--a prestigious job and friends with whom she takes in the city pleasures of theatre, art, and music. But the fleeting memories of a childhood visit to her father's elderly cousin out in the country are revived with the news that the woman has willed her home, The Laurels, to Mary. She makes an uncharacteristically sudden and life-changing decision to leave London for the country. The gradual unfolding of her understanding of herself, of the now-deceased woman who bequeathed the home to Mary, and of the people of Appleshaw, all weave together in a most memorable story of love's redemptive power."

Here is the opening:

"Mary, you will regret this."

Mary Lindsay settled herself in the driving seat of her small car and pulled on her gloves. She looked apologetically at her friend and said, "It's not irrevocable, Catherine." Yet she knew it was and so did Catherine as she said irritably, "You'll go to seed." 

"Things do in the country," said Mary. "They have to, for there is seed-time and harvest there. Catherine, this may be my last chance to live it." 

What to you think? Would you keep reading?


23 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing this new-to-me title and author. And I love that cover.

    My Tuesday post: http://www.bookclublibrarian.com/2015/03/first-chapter-first-paragraph-100.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, I'd keep reading. I love journey of discovery stories.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, I'm excited! Haven't read anything from this author in a while, and it looks (cover) and sounds delightful. Thanks for sharing, and here's mine: “BLUEPRINTS”

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Elizabeth Goudge is new to me, and I have a feeling I'll be reading more of her books! Have a great week, Laurel!

      Delete
  4. Well...I am biased...this is my favourite book!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad to hear that! I am enjoying what I've read of the book so far.

      Delete
  5. It's hard to beat that opening line! This is still sitting on my shelf waiting for me to open it, and I'm sure I'll love it when I do.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Absolutely agree about the opening line. Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  6. Probably not--I actually don't like openings like this, jumping into a conversation mid-stream. But I agree that the cover is wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think that sounds interesting. I'm trying to think if I've read anything by Elizabeth Goudge. I feel like I have. Hope you enjoy it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Goudge is a new author to me, and I was surprised to see how many books she's written for adults and children. Thanks for visiting!

      Delete
  8. This sounds like a delightful story. I love the book's cover too. I'd jump at the chance to live in that cozy cottage.
    Thank you for visiting my blog and leaving a comment.
    Sandy @ TEXAS TWANG

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your comment. I love the cottage on the cover, too! Have a great week, Sandra!

      Delete
  9. What a great quote: "'Things do in the country,' said Mary. 'They have to, for there is seed-time and harvest there. Catherine, this may be my last chance to live it.'" I would keep reading just for that!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, that part of the opening made me want to keep reading. Hope you have a great week!

      Delete
  10. I'm not familiar with Elizabeth Goudge, so look forward to hearing more about this book.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'd not heard of her, either, and was surprised to find out how prolific she was. Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  11. I'm not sure this one is for me, but I hope you enjoy it!

    ReplyDelete