Monday, April 27, 2015

Elizabeth Goudge Reading Week: The Scent of Water


I'm taking part in Elizabeth Goudge Reading Week, hosted by Lory at Emerald City Book Review, and for this, I've read The Scent of Water (1963).

This is the first book I've read by Elizabeth Goudge (1900-1984). The book was such a delight. In The Scent of Water, Mary Lindsay inherits a country house, The Laurels, from an older cousin Mary recalls having met met once when she was a child. Mary decides to leave behind her life in London and to move to the village of Appleshaw where she takes up residence at The Laurels. We get to meet the inhabitants of the village. As Mary finds her way and becomes part of the community, she learns more about her cousin through journals that she discovers in the house, and Mary comes to learn more about herself. 

There are so many wonderful elements in the The Scent of Water. I loved that the main character is an older woman; the story is rich with interesting characters who are flawed but who are impossible to dislike; and Goudge's characters who are children are are written in a realistic way. Some serious issues are explored like starting over, mental illness, faith and spirituality. 

I found something quite comforting about The Scent of Water. The writing is beautiful. I have many favorite scenes, but there is one that takes place on Christmas night that is magical. Even though Goudge reminds us that the world with its problems goes on outside Applesaw, I found the little village a lovely place to visit and look forward to reading more of her work. 

Have you read any of Elizabeth Goudge's books?



1 comment:

  1. I just read this as my first book during the Reading Week. I agree, Appleshaw is a marvelous place to visit!

    ReplyDelete