Tuesday, April 7, 2015

First Chapter First Paragraph Tuesday Intros: The Boys in the Boat


Happy Tuesday! I'm participating in First Chapter First Paragraph Tuesday Intros, hosted by Diane at Bibliophile by the Sea, where bloggers talk about what they're reading or thinking of reading soon. It's really fun and anyone can join in. 

My choice today is a book club selection that I'm about to start, The Boys in the Boat by Daniel James Brown (2013). To be honest, the opening doesn't exactly grab me, but the blurb about the book makes me want to read it. I love the story of an underdog.

From Goodreads:

"Daniel James Brown's robust book tells the story of the University of Washington's 1936 eight-oar crew and their epic quest for an Olympic gold medal, a team that transformed the sport and grabbed the attention of millions of Americans. The sons of loggers, shipyard workers and farmers, the boys defeated elite rivals from eastern and British universities and finally the German crew rowing for Adolf Hitler in the Olympic games in Berlin, 1936."

The opening:

"Monday, October 9, 1933, began as a gray day in Seattle. A gray day in a gray time."

What do you think? Would you keep reading?


18 comments:

  1. I loved this book! The audio version was fantastic. Enjoy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for mentioning the audio version. I might give it a try!

      Delete
  2. I love this time period so I would probably keep reading. Girl Who Reads

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love the time period, too. Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  3. This book is SO good....one of my all-time favorite nonfictions!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This does sound interesting. Thanks for bringing it to my attention.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have heard such good things about this book. I'm really curious about it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm looking forward to getting started on this one. Thanks!

      Delete
  6. I've read some terrify reviews for this one. I would keep reading.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This one sounds promising. I'll make sure to check it out! thanks for sharing, Monica!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great teaser! Enjoy the book.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I keep seeing this one and passing on it. I think it's because the title suggests to me a 'war story ' . Then I read the subtitle and realize it DOES sound interesting. Fools me every time !

    ReplyDelete
  10. I want to listen to this on audio.

    ReplyDelete