Tuesday, April 14, 2015

First Chapter First Paragraph Tuesday Intros: The Point of Rescue


Happy Tuesday! I'm taking part in First Chapter First Paragraph Tuesday Intros, hosted by Diane at Bibliophile by the Sea, where bloggers share the first paragraph of a book they are reading or thinking of reading soon. It's really fun, and anyone can join in.

My selection is The Point of Rescue by British author Sophie Hannah (2008).

From the back cover:

"Sally is watching the news with her husband when she hears a name she ought not to recognise: Mark Bretherick.

Last year, a work trip Sally had planned was cancelled at the last minute. Desperate for a break from her busy life juggling her career and a young family, Sally didn't tell her husband that the trip had fallen through. Instead, she booked a week off and treated herself to a secret holiday. All she wanted was a bit of peace--some time to herself--but it didn't work out that way. Because Sally met a man--Mark Bretherick.

All the details are the same: where he lives, his job, his wife Geraldine and daughter, Lucy. Except that the man on the news is someone Sally has never seen before. And Geraldine and Lucy Bretherick are both dead . . ."

The opening:

"Monday, 6 2007

Or your family.

The last three words are yelled, not spoken. As Pam elbows her way through the crowd in front of me, I hear nothing apart from that last spurt of viciousness, her afterthought. She made it four syllables instead of five: 'Or your fam-ly', four blows that thump in my mind like a boxer's jabbing fist.

Why bring my family into it? What have they ever done to Pam?"

What do you think? Would you keep reading?



15 comments:

  1. This is a series that's on my list to read. So, yes, I'd continue. Although I don't think this is the first in the series. So, I'd start there first. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oooh, this sounds like a good one! If it's a series though, I'd need to start at the beginning... old habits die hard ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really want to give this author a try at some point. I love the sound of this one.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds like an intriguing premise. Hope you like it. Here's Mine

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like the premise of this book -- a wife steps outside her usual life, tells a lie, and that starts a whole chain of events. I'd keep reading to figure out what's going on!
    My Tuesday post features AN UNHOLY ALLIANCE.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have had my eye on this author for a while now and she has been recommended to me several times. I hope you enjoy it, and I will add her to my wishlist, thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  7. The opening doesn't hook me, but the blurb does. I may have to try this.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I would keep reading. I've read one book by this author and enjoyed it.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I would keep reading because the blurb hooked me.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love the premise in the blurb, but didn't really like the intro paragraph. I'd keep reading based on the blurb, though!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love this author's work...and I think I read this one under a different title...it has a very familiar blurb. LOL Thanks for sharing...and for visiting my blog.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'm a big fan of Sophie Hannah and so of course I'd keep reading - in fact the intro made me want to turn to the copy of this that sits on my bookshelf :-) Thanks for visiting my Tuesday post https://cleopatralovesbooks.wordpress.com/2015/04/14/first-chapter-first-paragraph-april-14/

    ReplyDelete
  13. I own several books by this author but haven't read them. I am curious to learn more on this one.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I've never read this author but it sounds like a good book.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Yes, I'd keep reading. I'm curious plus, I've heard this is a great one. I hope you are enjoying it.

    ReplyDelete