Tuesday, April 21, 2015

First Chapter First Paragraph Tuesday Intros: Lucy Sullivan Is Getting Married


Happy Tuesday! On Tuesdays, I like to take part in First Chapter First Paragraph Tuesday Intros, hosted by Diane at Bibliophile by the Sea, where bloggers share a bit about a book they are reading or thinking of reading soon. 

I like the way Marian Keyes tells a story, and I've been in the mood lately for one of her books. Lucy Sullivan Is Getting Married (1997) has been in my TBR pile for quite some time.

From the back cover:

"What happens when a psychic tells Lucy that she'll be getting married within the year? Her roommates panic! What is going to happen to their blissful existence of eating take-out, drinking too much wine, bringing men home, and never vacuuming?

Lucy reassures her friends that she's far too busy arguing with her mother and taking care of her irresponsible father to get married. And then there's the small matter of not even having a boyfriend.

But then Lucy meets gorgeous, unreliable Gus. Could he be the future Mr. Lucy Sullivan? Or could it be handsome Chuck? Or Daniel, the world's biggest flirt? Or even cute Jed, the new guy at work? 

Maybe her friends have something to worry about after all . . ."

From the opening:

"When Meredia reminded me that the four of us from the office were due to visit a fortune-teller the following Monday, my stomach lurched.

"You've forgotten," accused Meredia, her chubby face aquiver.

I had.

She slapped her hand down on her desk and warned, "Don't even think of trying to tell me that you're not coming."

"Damn," I whispered, because that was just what I had been about to do. Not because I had any objections to having my fortune told. On the contrary--it was usually good for a laugh. Especially when they got to the part where they told me that the man of my dreams was just around the next corner. That part was always hilarious."

What do you think? Would you keep reading?


21 comments:

  1. I'm not sure this one's for me, but hope you enjoy it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have not yet read this author, but I do have one of her books on Pippa, my Kindle. (Watermelon). Eager to read it now...this one sounds good.

    Here is mine: “THE GUEST COTTAGE”

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love your name for your Kindle! Also, Watermelon was a fun read. I hope you enjoy it!

      Delete
  3. Nice choice. I've not read enough titles by this Irish author. My wish list contains many.

    My Tuesday post: http://www.bookclublibrarian.com/2015/04/first-chapter-first-paragraph-103.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I picked up several of her books last year that I'm looking forward to getting around to this year. Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  4. NOt quite sure it's my kind of book but it sounds like a fun, light premise.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was looking for something fun because I've read several intense books lately. Thanks for visiting!

      Delete
  5. I think the beginning sounds fun. Yes, I'd continue.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This sounds like a great fun read and even better I think I have a copy lurking somewhere - off to see if I'm right! Thanks for visiting my Tuesday post https://cleopatralovesbooks.wordpress.com/2015/04/21/first-chapter-first-paragraph-april-21/

    ReplyDelete
  7. This sounds fun. I like the character's voice.

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a fun book to escape into--I've been bogged down in heavy reading lately and this sounds like just the kind of reading tonic I need. I absolutely love the cover--says a lot about the main character, at least I assume it does!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love the sound of this book. It sounds like a book that would make a great reading-break book.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh, I've been meaning to read this author. She was recommended to me by Trish at Between the Lines, a blogger who lives in Ireland. Enjoy it, and I hope you share your thoughts on one of her books so I can decide if it is for me, when I desire a light, happy story.

    ReplyDelete
  11. This was a good book. I am sure you will enjoy it.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I've had this in my TBR forever. I would definitely enjoy this one.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Monica, not sure, but it sounds like it could be fun.

    ReplyDelete
  14. This sounds like such a fun book! I would keep reading.

    ReplyDelete