Tuesday, April 28, 2015

First Chapter First Paragraph Tuesday Intros: My Brother Michael by Mary Stewart


Hope you are having a good week so far. I'm participating in First Chapter First Paragraph Tuesday Intros, hosted by Diane at Bibliophile by the Sea, where bloggers share a bit about what they're reading or thinking of reading soon.

I'm taking a few days off for some much needed vacation. My husband and I are enjoying some time on the beautiful Eastern Shore of Maryland, so my reading has gone toward vacation kind of reading.

Today, my selection is My Brother Michael by Mary Stewart (1959).

From the back cover:

"Nothing ever happened to Camilla Haven--until a stranger approached her in a crowded Athens cafe, handed her the keys to a black car parked by the curb, and whispered, "A matter of life and death."

The ride was Camilla's first mistake . . ."

The first few paragraphs:

"Nothing ever happens to me. 

I wrote the words slowly, looked at them for a moment with a little sigh, then put my ballpoint pen down on the cafe table and rummaged in my handbag for a cigarette.

As I breathed the smoke in I looked about me. It occurred to me, thinking of that last depressed sentence in my letter to Elizabeth, that enough was happening at the moment to satisfy all but the most adventure-hungry. That is the impression that Athens gives you. Everyone is moving, talking, gesticulating--but particularly talking. The second one remembers in Athens is not the clamour of the impatiently congested traffic, or the perpetual hammer of the pneumatic drill or even the age-old sound of chisels chipping away at the Pentelic marble which is still the cheapest stone for building. . . . what one remembers about Athens is the roar of the talking."

What do you think? Would you keep reading?


9 comments:

  1. Oh, bemoaning the lack of excitement in her life could definitely lead to trouble...you piqued my curiosity. Thanks for sharing, and here's mine: “EVERY FIFTEEN MINUTES”

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've already read this, so yes! I found it a fun read.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The cover is gorgeous and I'm jealous you're reading on the Eastern Shore! My husband and I go there every summer, except on the VA side (I know, it's a lot different than the MD side). I'd keep reading...

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm definitely interested to see what the writer does to find some excitement. Here is my Tuesday post https://cleopatralovesbooks.wordpress.com/2015/04/28/first-chapter-first-paragraph-april-28/

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, Mary Stewart - one of my favorite all time writers. And I read this book so many years ago. Her settings are always lovely. Yes, I'd read more. Enjoy your trip!

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a great choice for vacation reading! Enjoy.

    My Intro

    ReplyDelete
  7. I loved all of her books and this one in particular.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is one book I have wanted to read. I like the into too.

    ReplyDelete
  9. The beginning is lovely. I'd keep going just so I could find out what happens next. Hope you continue to enjoy your time off.

    ReplyDelete