Tuesday, May 5, 2015

First Chapter First Paragraph Tuesday Intros: The Husband's Secret


Happy Tuesday! I'm participating in First Chapter First Paragraph Tuesday Intros, hosted by Diane at Bibliophile by the Sea, where bloggers share a bit about what they're reading or planning on reading soon.

My choice is a book that's been on my Kindle for some time--The Husband's Secret by Liane Moriarty (2013).

From Goodreads:

"Imagine that your husband wrote you a letter to be read after his death. Imagine, too, that the letter contained his deepest, darkest secret--something with the potential to destroy not just the life you built together, but the lives of others as well. Imagine, then, that you stumble across the letter while your husband is very much alive . . . Cecilia Fitzpatrick has achieved it all--she's an incredibly successful businesswoman, a pillar of her small community, and a devoted wife and mother. Her life is as orderly and spotless as her home. But that letter is about to change everything, and not just for her: Rachel and Tess barely know Cecilia--or each other--but they, too, are about the feel the earth shattering repercussions of her husband's secret." 

The opening:

"It was all because of the Berlin Wall.

If it weren't for the Berlin Wall, Cecilia would never have found the letter, and then she wouldn't be sitting here, at the kitchen table, willing herself not to rip it open.

The envelope was gray with a fine layer of dust. The words on the front were written in a scratchy blue ballpoint pen, the handwriting as familiar as her own. She turned it over. It was sealed with a yellowing piece of sticky tape. When was it written? It felt old, like it was written years ago, but there was no way of knowing for sure."

What do you think? Would you keep reading?



18 comments:

  1. I read--and enjoyed--this one. Hope you do too.

    My Tuesday post: http://www.bookclublibrarian.com/2015/05/first-chapter-first-paragraph-105.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. I liked Big Little Lies, so would give this a try... maybe for a summer weekend. Hope you enjoy it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This one was my first book by this author, and I loved it so much that I pursued every title I could get my hands on. I love the author's voice....and the issues she probes. Thanks for reminding me of a favorite book!

    And thanks for visiting my blog.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As always, thanks for your comment and for your thoughts about the book!

      Delete
  4. I think I was the only one in the world that didn't like this book...and I've given her 3 shots and not liked any of them...she's just not for me. All the over the top mommy politics grated on me. But, I hope you have a better experience...judging by everyone else's reactions, chances are you will!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Sarah! It's always interesting to have a different take on a book than a lot of people. (I was definitely in the minority with The Girl on the Train!) I haven't read any of Liane Moriarty's books, so we shall see.

      Delete
  5. The opening grabbed me, and the Goodreads synopsis made me want to know more. This sounds like a book I'd adore.
    Thank you for visiting my blog and leaving a comment.
    Sandy @ TEXAS TWANG

    ReplyDelete
  6. The blurb is certainly interesting. This may need to go on my wishlist.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh, I loved this book. Read it maybe 2 years ago. I think I need a reread soon. Hope you enjoy it!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad you enjoyed the book! I'm looking forward to getting started on it. Thanks for visiting!

      Delete
  8. Ooh I really enjoyed this one although at a push her next one, Little Lies was better. Thanks for visiting my Tuesday post https://cleopatralovesbooks.wordpress.com/2015/05/05/first-chapter-first-paragraph-may-5/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for sharing your thoughts on this book and Little Lies, and thank you for stopping by!

      Delete
  9. Monica, it's on my TBR list - glad u featured it😘

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This book has been on my Kindle for quite awhile. One of my goals this year is to read more of the many books on my Kindle. Thanks for stopping by, and I hope you are feeling better!

      Delete