Tuesday, May 12, 2015

First Chapter First Paragraph Tuesday Intros: The Moviegoer by Walker Percy

 

Happy Tuesday! I hope that you're having a good week so far, a great week of reading and that the pollen is not affecting you. It's crazy here with pollen. I'm in an area which has been dubbed by the local news media as the "perfect storm" of pollen! Yikes! But on to reading . . .

I'm participating in First Chapter First Paragraph Tuesday Intros, hosted by Diane at Bibliophile by the Sea, where bloggers share a bit about what they're reading or thinking of reading soon.

Today, my selection is a novel of Southern fiction set in New Orleans, The Moviegoer by Walker Percy (1961).


From the back cover:


"On the eve of this thirtieth birthday, Binx Bolling is adrift. He occupies himself dallying with his secretaries and going to the movies, which provide him with the "treasurable moments" absent from his real life. But one fateful Mardi Gras, Binx embarks on a quest--a harebrained search for authenticity that outrages his family, endangers his fragile cousin, Kate, and sends him reeling through the gaudy chaos of the French Quarter. Wry and wrenching, rich in irony and romance, The Moviegoer is a genuine American classic."


The opening:


"This morning I got a note from my aunt asking me to come for lunch. I know what this means. Since I go there every Sunday for dinner and today is Wednesday, it can mean only one thing: she wants to have one of her serious talks. It will be extremely grave, either a piece of bad news about her stepdaughter Kate or else a serious talk about me, about the future and what I ought to do. It is enough to scare the wits out of anyone, yet I confess I do not find the prospect altogether unpleasant."


What do you think? Would you keep reading?




26 comments:

  1. You had me at "moviegoer," as I am obsessed with movies. And the setting of New Orleans is another plus. Great intro! Thanks for sharing, and for visiting my blog.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I feel the same about movies, Laurel! Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  2. And you had me at French Quarter. Hope you enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, there is something about the French Quarter that makes for a great setting. Thanks for visiting, Kay!

      Delete
  3. I'm not sure about this one but I hope you enjoy it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I was turned off initially by the cover, but loved the blurb and the intro. I'd keep reading!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The cover is different and doesn't really photograph that well, but hopefully the story will make up for that! Thanks!

      Delete
  5. I'm not sure about this. I am usually a cover lover also and this one desperately needs a make-over :)
    That being said, a movie-goer, hmm, could be interesting so enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree about the cover. We shall see about the story. Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  6. I love movies so I was in when I saw the title. Love the into too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love movies, too, and that's kind of what drew me to the book. Thanks for visiting my blog, Vicki!

      Delete
  7. I'm not too sure if this would be for me but that opening has me wanting to know more. Thanks for visiting my Tuesday post https://cleopatralovesbooks.wordpress.com/2015/05/12/first-chapter-first-paragraph-may-12/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your comment and for stopping by!

      Delete
  8. Since I like Southern fiction, New Orleans, and movies, this sounds like a book I'd love! The opening definitely made me want to keep reading.
    Thank you for visiting my blog and taking the time to leave a comment.
    Sandy @ TEXAS TWANG

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't read much in the way of Southern fiction for awhile, so I'm looking forward to reading this book. Thanks for your comment, Sandra!

      Delete
  9. Wow...this sounds great. Hadn't heard of it before now. Thanks for sharing and for visiting my blog.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I hadn't heard of this book, but it sounds really good. Can't wait to hear more about it!
    (But that name - Binx Bolling! lol)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When I first read the blurb, I had the same reaction to Binx Bolling's name!

      Delete
  11. I've had this on my shelf for years to read and have just never gotten around to it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have to admit that this is one of those books that has been on my TBR list for a long time. Thanks for stopping by, Amy!

      Delete
  12. I like the sound of this one; I'd read more - great pick Monica.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Doesn't do much for me, though I might give it another few pages to grab me.

    Happy reading though!

    My opener post lives here: http://www.bookpunks.com/so-it-begins-the-word-exchange-by-alena-graedon/

    ReplyDelete