Tuesday, May 19, 2015

First Chapter First Paragraph Tuesday Intros: We Are All Completely Beside Ourselves


Happy Tuesday! Welcome to First Chapter First Paragraph Tuesday Intros, hosted by Diane at Bibliophile by the Sea, where bloggers share a bit about what they're reading or planning to read soon.

Today, my selection is We Are All Completely Beside Ourselves by Karen Joy Fowler (2014). I haven't started this book yet, but it looks interesting, And from what I've read, people seem to either love this novel or hate it.

From the back cover:

"Rosemary doesn't talk very much, and about certain things, she's silent. She had a sister, Fern, her whirlwind other half, who vanished from her life in circumstances she wishes she could forget. And it's been ten years since she last saw her beloved older brother Lowell.

Now at college, Rosemary starts to see that she can't go forward without going back, back to the time when, aged five, she was sent away from home to her grandparents and returned to find Fern gone."

First chapter of the prologue:

"Those who know me now will be surprised to learn that I was a great talker as a child. We have a home movie taken when I was two years old, the old-fashioned kind with no sound track, and by now the colors have bled out--a white sky, my red sneakers a ghostly pink--but you can still see how much I used to talk."

At the end of the Prologue, Rosemary explains that she's going to start the story in the middle.

First paragraph of Chapter One:

"So the middle of my story comes in the winter of 1996. By then, we'd long since dwindled to the family that old home movie foreshadowed--me, my mother, and unseen but evident behind the camera, my father. In 1996, ten years had passed since I'd last seen my brother, seventeen since my sister disappeared. The middle of my story is all about their absence, though if I hadn't told you that, you might not have known. By 1996, whole days went by in which I hardly thought of either one."

What do you think? Would you keep reading?



23 comments:

  1. This is one of those books I really can't decide about... maybe you can help me make up my mind ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My mother gave me her copy but let me know that she wasn't crazy about the writing style. So, we shall see. :)

      Delete
  2. I have been hesitating about this one, too, but I loved another book by this author. The excerpts are drawing me in, so I want to know more. Thanks for sharing...and here's mine: “THE SHORE”

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't read anything by this author yet, so I'll be interested to see how this novel is. Thanks for your comment!

      Delete
  3. Good opening! I'm intrigued, wanting to know what happened to her sister.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, lots of questions about this opening. Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  4. I know the 'secret' and like the others have been trying to decide whether to read this. I will admit that I liked the movie made of her book, The Jane Austen Book Club, better than the actual book in print. Will watch and see what you think. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Now, I am intrigued about the secret! Thanks for visiting my blog, Kay!

      Delete
  5. Sounds like my kind of book...I'd keep reading. Thanks for visiting my blog.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is too tempting. I have to know what is going on - why they disappeared, etc. I'd keep reading.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I have a lot of questions about what is foreshadowed as well. Thanks for your comment, Margot!

      Delete
  7. I think I'd love this one Monica --hope you like it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. One of the things that intrigues me about this novel is that people seem to have a strong reaction it, so I'm looking forward to seeing what it's all about. Thanks, Diane!

      Delete
  8. Hmm. I would think if the color had faded out of the home movie that it was set much earlier than 1996. Let us know what you think.Here's Mine

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Interesting point. I hadn't thought about that. Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  9. I've heard a lot about this one, but I'm still on the fence. I'm not ready to pick it up...yet.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hadn't heard that much about this book until a few days ago, so I'm intrigued to find out more. Thanks for your comment!

      Delete
  10. It does sound interesting...I'd keep reading.

    ReplyDelete
  11. From this excerpt, I want to read this book.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your comment and for visiting my blog, Terra!

      Delete
  12. I would keep reading. I have this one on the stacks.

    ReplyDelete