Tuesday, May 26, 2015

First Chapter First Paragraph Tuesday Intros: Disclaimer by Renee Knight


Happy Tuesday! Welcome to First Chapter First Paragraph Tuesday Intros, hosted by Diane at Bibliophile by the Sea, where bloggers share a bit about what they're reading or planning to read soon.

I read about Disclaimer awhile back in Library Journal and couldn't resist pre-ordering the book. The novel has arrived on my Kindle, and I've taken a peek. The first chapter looks promising.

From Goodreads:

"Finding a mysterious novel at her bedside plunges documentary filmmaker Catherine Ravenscroft into a living nightmare. Though ostensibly fiction, The Perfect Stranger recreates in vivid, unmistakable detail the terrible day Catherine became hostage to a dark secret, a secret that only one other person knew--and that person is dead."

The first paragraph:

"Spring 2013

Catherine braces herself, but there is nothing left to come up. She grips the cold enamel and raises her head to look in the mirror. The face that looks back at her is not the one she went to bed with. She has seen this face before but hoped never to see it again. She studies herself in this new harsh light and wets a flannel, wiping her mouth then pressing it against her eyes as if she can extinguish the fear in them."

What do you think? Would you keep reading?

29 comments:

  1. Definitely! I have had this on my wishlist for awhile. I love gritty psychological thrillers and while I was turned down when I requested it, I will look for it on my library's new release shelf asap. Thanks for sharing your thoughts.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Rita. I'll be interested to see what you think of the book. I love a good psychological thriller, too.

      Delete
  2. Oh, wow, now I am definitely curious! Thanks for sharing...and here's mine: “APRON STRINGS”

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I can't wait to get started on the book. Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  3. Oh boy...this one sounds intense! Not sure if it is for me, though!

    Today I'm featuring The Last Original Wife by Dorothea Benton Frank.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree that it is intense. Thanks for your comment!

      Delete
  4. What the heck's going on? I'd keep reading to find out!

    ReplyDelete
  5. The blurb actually gave me goosebumps. I may have to find this.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've had my eye on this one! The premise sounds really intriguing. But, I wasn't wowed by the intro. But still, I'd keep reading...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The premise was what hooked me. Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  7. That beginning makes me want to get to know this character better. Sounds like a book I'd enjoy.
    My Tuesday post features Nobody’s Cuter Than You.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree about the character. I'm wondering what her secret is. Thanks for your comment!

      Delete
  8. I've been watching for this one to come out. Read something about it a while back. So very creep - reading a book and realizing it is about you. Look forward to hearing what you think.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It does sound very creepy indeed. Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  9. Ooh, definitely promising if also quite scary! I totally see why you pre-ordered this one because it sounds fascinating! Can't wait to hear what you have to say about this one once you finish it! Thanks for sharing :) I hope you have a great week and that I see you at ABEA!
    My Tuesday post
    Juli @ Universe in Words

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It does sound like it could be really scary, so we shall see. I won't be at ABEA, but I hope that you have a great time!

      Delete
  10. This is the first I've seen of this books, but I'd definitely keep reading! Hope you enjoy it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not familiar with this author, so we shall see. Thanks, JoAnn!

      Delete
  11. Sounds like my kind of book, unless it strays to far into the horror genre. Girl Who Reads

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If it strays into the horror genre, I won't be reading it, either! Thanks for your comment!

      Delete
  12. Monica, this intro was a WOW. I do want to read this one --enjoy

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh, I like this opener! I'd keep reading. In fact, I'm going to see if my library has a copy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Margot! Thanks for visiting today and for your comment!

      Delete
  14. That does grab me! I would keep reading.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oh yeah, I want to read this one.

    ReplyDelete
  16. This is my favourite read of the year so far - to be honest it had me at the premise and I loved the way the author manipulated my emotions along the way!

    ReplyDelete