Sunday, May 24, 2015

Sunday Salutations


Welcome to another installment of Sunday Salutations where I mention what's going on in my life and in my bookish life.

In My Life . . .

I'm still dealing with my foot, but help has come in the form of my new best friend, the knee walker:



No more hobbling around on crutches! I'm really glad to have this because it has made getting around much easier. 

I've been in Austin for the past few days, catching up with family. I got to attend my niece's choir performance where she had a solo. I may be biased, but I was so impressed with her poise and her beautiful singing voice. She's not quite a teenager, so I'm enjoying this time with her because she's so close to taking off with her life. The next time I see her, she'll probably be much busier with activities and friends.

On the Blog . . .

My First Chapter First Paragraph Tuesday Intro post was about We Are All Completely Beside Ourselves by Karen Joy Fowler.

I posted a review of Jacob's Room by Virginia Woolf.

The Friday Zen painting was Ebbing Tide by James Whitelaw Hamilton (1896).

Reading . . .

I finished The Wedding Group by Elizabeth Taylor, and a review is forthcoming.

Also, I finished the audio book of Sylvester by Georgette Heyer which was really good.

It's amazing how many audio books I've downloaded and not listened to yet. So, I've started Bossy Pants written and narrated by Tina Fey and Heartburn by Nora Ephron, narrated by Meryl Streep.

Looking forward to . . .

Next up in my reading is The Blessing by Nancy Mitford. Also, The Disclaimer  by Renee Knight has arrived on my Kindle, and it looks really interesting. 

I'm going to catch up on some episodes I've missed of the British show Outnumbered. I'm so happy that it's free on Hulu.

Also, I'm planning to do some listening to BBC Radio 4 Extra where there's an adaptation of Enchanted April and there are some episodes of the comedy, Clare in the Community, available. It's amazing what's on BBC radio. If I look around, I'm sure there is more I'll find to listen to.

I hope that you are having a wonderful holiday weekend! What have you been reading?

8 comments:

  1. Monica, you've been in Austin! And you haven't washed away! We have had the rain, haven't we? So glad to hear that got one of those little knee walker things. Have a friend who had foot surgery recently and she has one. We told her that she is a wild woman on it. LOL

    Congrats to your niece on her solo. You sound so very proud of her. She must be really special. Take care and enjoy the rest of your trip.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Kay! Yes, the weather was a surprise. It seems like all or nothing with the rain.

      Delete
  2. I love Sylvester! I'm not much for audiobooks but I can imagine that Georgette Heyer would be a lot of fun if done well.

    As for what I'm reading, I'm partway through way too many books but making progress. I can see the end for Little, Big which I picked up for a May readalong, and I've made it over the hump in A God in Ruins (the first part was slow going for me). I've stopped temporarily in the middle of The Fellowship (a group biography of the Inklings, CS Lewis and co.) but it wasn't because I didn't enjoy it. I hope to get back to it as soon as some other things are out of the way. Have a wonderful weekend yourself!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The audio book of Sylvester is abridged, but I liked it so much that I want to read the book. It sounds like you're reading some really interesting books. I picked up Little, Big several years ago, but have never read it. Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  3. You have been busy, and your new best friend looks very useful. I just reviewed Things Can Only Get Feta, and posted the reviews on Amazon, Librarything and Goodreads. Where do you post your reviews? Soon I will review The Paris Wife, a novel about Ernest Hemingway's first wife, Hadley.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Terra! I will look for your reviews. I haven't gotten around to posting mine anywhere but here. I'll be interested to see what you think of The Paris Wife.

      Delete
  4. Glad the knee walker has increased your mobility and I hope the healing continues. My stack of "unlistened to" audiobooks seems to be growing, too, and I should really get caught up before downloading more.... but will I? Probably not ;-)

    Enjoy the rest of your time in Austin!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, JoAnn! It's just so easy to download books to my Kindle and audio books, too! LOL Hope you enjoy the rest of your holiday weekend!

      Delete