Tuesday, June 16, 2015

First Chapter First Paragraph Tuesday Intros: Our Endless Numbered Days


Happy Tuesday to you! I'm taking part in First Chapter First Paragraph Tuesday Intros, hosted by Diane at Bibliophile by the Sea, where bloggers share a bit about a book they're reading or thinking of reading soon.

Our Endless Numbered Days by Claire Fuller (2015) is a book I'm planning to start soon. 

From Goodreads:

"1976: Peggy Hillcoat is eight. She spends her summer camping with her father, playing her beloved record of The Railway Children and listening to her mother's grand piano, but her pretty life is about to change.

Her survivalist father, who has been stockpiling provisions for the end which is surely coming soon, takes her from London to a cabin in a remote European forest. There he tells Peggy the rest of the world has disappeared. And so her life is reduced to a piano which makes music but no sound, a forest where all that grows means survival and a tiny wooden hut that means Everything.

Peggy is not seen again for another nine years.

1985: Peggy has returned to the family home. But what happened to her in the forest? And why has she come back now?"

The first paragraph:

"Highgate, London, November 1985

"This morning I found a black-and-white photograph of my father at the back of the bureau drawer. He didn't look like a liar. My mother, Ute, had removed the other pictures of him from the albums she kept on the bottom shelf of the bookcase, and shuffled around the remaining family and baby snapshots to fill in the gaps. The framed picture of their wedding, which used to sit on the mantelpiece, had gone, too."

What do you think? Would you keep reading?


12 comments:

  1. I've seen some very positive reviews of this book, but the premise doesn't really appeal to me. Will look forward to your thoughts.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Now you have definitely piqued my curiosity! I want to know what happened, and why she finally came back. Thanks for sharing...and for visiting my blog.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm very intrigued by this book. I'm adding it to my reading list. Hope you enjoy it.

    My Tuesday post: http://www.bookclublibrarian.com/2015/06/first-chapter-first-paragraph-110.html

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm not quite sure why this isn't grabbing me. Hope you like it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I really like the cover of this one--so simple. The blurb has me really curious about this one and I liked the intro. I think I'll add this one to my wish list.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yes.....I want to know what happened!
    Thanks for stopping by!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Intriguing. There seems to be a theme this week about people returning from being missing. Sigh. So many books, so little time.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This book sounds fascinating! I can't imagine how this girl's outlook on life has changed. Yes, I'll definitely read it.
    Thank you for visiting my blog today.
    Sandy @ TEXAS TWANG

    ReplyDelete
  9. I've heard good things about this book, but it hasn't spoken to me yet. Not sure why. Will look forward to hearing what you think about it.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I like the sound of this one! That quote about the father's picture is a great one! Thank you for visiting my Tuesday post.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love hearing a story from a childs POV...I'd read more.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love, loved this book! And - I've never seen this cover before...interesting!

    ReplyDelete