Tuesday, June 23, 2015

First Chapter First Paragraph Tuesday Intros: The Talented Mr. Ripley


Happy Tuesday! Each Tuesday, I enjoy participating in First Chapter First Paragraph Tuesday Intros, hosted by Diane at Bibliophile by the Sea, where bloggers share a bit about what they're reading or thinking of reading soon.

My selection is The Talented Mr. Ripley by Patricia Highsmith, originally published in 1955. This is a book that's been in my TBR pile since last year. One of my goals for the summer is to read some of these books that I've had for awhile. I've been wanting to read Highsmith's Tom Ripley novels and am planning to start this novel soon.

From the back cover:

"In a chilling literary hall of mirrors, Patricia Highsmith introduces Tom Ripley. Like a latter-day Henry James hero, he is sent to Italy with the commission to coax Dickie Greenleaf back to his wealthy father. But Ripley finds himself very fond of this prodigal young American. He wants to be like him--exactly like him. Suave, agreeable, and utterly amoral, Ripley stops at nothing--certainly not only one murder--to accomplish his goal."

The first paragraph:

"Tom glanced behind him and saw the man coming out of the Green Cage, heading his way. Tom walked faster. There was no doubt the man was after him. Tom had noticed him five minutes ago, eyeing him carefully from a table, as if he weren't quite sure, but almost. He had looked sure enough for Tom to down his drink in a hurry, pay and get out."

What do you think? Would you keep reading?


10 comments:

  1. Okay, I am eager to find out more! I don't know why I haven't ever read this author, but I must. Thanks for sharing. Here's mine: “THE NEW NEIGHBOR”

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is one I really would like to read--or at least something by the author. I have seen the movie of this one and really liked it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hm. I hadn't considered reading this. Probably because I didn't care much for the movie, but that's not always a good barometer about the quality of the book.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'd keep reading. I'd want to know who was following him and why.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I did like the movie, but it was creepy. Matt Damon did a good job. I haven't read any of this author's books, although I have, of course, known of them. Yes, I'd keep reading.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've wanted to read this for a while. Almost got the audio version during audible's last 2-for-1 sale, but think I'd rather go with print. Hope you like it!

    ReplyDelete
  7. We loved the movie, but haven't read the book. Enjoy

    ReplyDelete
  8. A great choice of book - I read this last year and thoroughly enjoyed it!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I think I have this on a shelf somewhere in the house, but I haven't read it. Girl Who Reads

    ReplyDelete