Friday, June 19, 2015

Summer Reading Plans


I've been putting together my summer reading plans and wanted to share my list with you because before June gets away. My list includes some classics for The Classics Club, more contemporary works for fun, some Mitford sisters, and a novel of historical fiction.

Coming in at 784 pages, I've downloaded the audio book for Daniel Deronda, and I'm planning to alternate between listening to and reading this book.

I've read enough of Our Endless Numbered Days by Claire Fuller to be intrigued, so I'm looking forward to reading more.

I may be one of the few people who hasn't read The Unlikely Pilgrimage of Harold Fry, but I've heard such good things about this book.

I've been making my way through Marian Keyes' books about the Walsh sisters. Angels tells the story of Maggie, and I have been saving this novel for now since it's set in the summertime.

Already a novel much debated and anticipated, the great challenge is going to be ignoring all the chatter and hype as the release approaches. I want to read Go Set A Watchman without any expectations and just enjoy it.

I'm looking forward to reading this historical fiction novel, Circling the Sun, about British born adventuress and aviator, Beryl Markham. The woman on the cover reminds me of Cate Blanchett.

Although I've read several of Nancy Mitford's novels recently, I have a lot of books by and about the Mitford sisters. I love the cover of Hons and Rebels and am looking forward to reading more about the sisters.

The Sleeping Beauty is Elizabeth Taylor's sixth novel, and it looks like a good summer read. I've already read several of her novels, and I never get tired of her writing.

Like Elizabeth Taylor, I want to read all of Nancy Mitford's novels. It seems that The Pursuit of Love as well as Love in a Cold Climate are her most famous novels, so I'm looking forward to seeing what they're like. 

How about your plans? What are you most looking forward to reading this summer?

9 comments:

  1. Doesn't Circling The Sun look great? I'm definitely looking forward to trying it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm really excited about this book and looking forward to reading about that time period of the 1920s.

      Delete
  2. I got into Nancy Mitford after reading Kendall Hailey's The Day I Became An Autodidact (which I also recommend). The Pursuit of Love and Love in a Cold Climate are delicious! I would also like to read Hons and Rebels but haven't gotten to that one yet. Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Lory! I'm not familiar with Kendall Hailey's book. I'm adding that to my reading list!

      Delete
  3. I'm looking forward to Go Set A Watchman (that makes me so unique, right?! Ha!) and Circling the Sun as well! And - I absolutely loved Our Endless Numbered Days...great summer book!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Sarah! Great minds think alike! I've got high hopes for all three of these books!

      Delete
  4. The only one I've read is Harold Fry (it was delightful), but want to read all of the others! That omnibus edition of The Pursuit of Love and Love in a Cold Climate is on my shelf and I'm sure it would make a lovely summer read.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've had the omnibus edition of Pursuit of Love and Love in a Cold Climate for awhile. I love the cover!

      Delete
  5. I enjoy reading books about the Mitfords and the one you show here sounds good. I read the Paris Wife and think the one about Beryl Markham would be one I will like.

    ReplyDelete