Sunday, June 14, 2015

Sunday Salutations



Welcome to Sunday Salutations! 

This has been a week of navigating at home and at work with the challenge of keeping the weight off my foot, which I'll have to do for another month. A great thing about this is that it has given me more time to read. 

Reading . . .

I have succumbed to the lure of Anthony Trollope and have read Miss Mackenzie, originally published in 1865. It is a delightful book! I loved the writing, and I also enjoyed Trollope's narration with his insights, especially as Miss Mackenzie navigated the world of the Stumfoldians and tried to make her way in the social world of Littlebath. My review is coming soon as part of my participation in A Literary Odyssey's A Victorian Celebration, happening this month and in July.


I also completed Afternoon of a Good Woman by Nina Bawden (1976). My only experience with Nina Bawden has been her children's book, Carrie's War, so I was interested to see what her adult fiction is like. I look forward to reading more of her novels.

Currently, I am really enjoying two books--The Rector's Daughter by F.M. Mayor (1924) and Voyage in the Dark by Jean Rhys (1954). 


This past week on the blog . . .

My review of Elizabeth Taylor's The Wedding Group

First Chapter First Paragraph Tuesday Intros post


Words on the Month of June

Remarks on Recent Reads

Have A Lovely Weekend

Looking forward to . . .

I saw the trailer of the film Testament of Youth, based on Vera Brittain's memoir of her World War I experiences and one my favorite reads of last year. The film will be in my part of the world in a couple of weeks, and I am excited!

I hope that you've had a great week, and that the week ahead is wonderful! 

What have you been reading?

2 comments:

  1. I like your reading list, Monica. I have promised myself that one of these days I will dedicate a chunk of time to reading Trollope. Thanks for visiting my Sunday recap.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad to hear you enjoyed Miss Mackenzie! Trollope has fast become one of my favorite authors and I'm looking forward to reading some of his stand-alones after finishing The Barsetshire series. And I had no idea there was a movie version of Testament of Youth! That moves it up higher on my tbr list!

    ReplyDelete