Tuesday, July 7, 2015

First Chapter First Paragraph Tuesday Intros: Eleven by Patricia Highsmith

Happy Tuesday to you! I'm taking part in First Chapter First Paragraph Tuesday Intros, hosted by Diane at Bibliophile by the Sea, where book bloggers share a bit about a book they are reading or planning to read soon.

Recently, I read Patricia Highsmith's first short story collection, Eleven, published in 1970. The stories appeared in various magazines in 1945 and then throughout the 1960s. 

I'm sharing the first paragraph of a story from Eleven, "When the Fleet was in at Mobile:"

"With the bottle of chloroform in her hand, Geraldine stared at the man asleep on the back porch. She could hear the deep in, short out breaths whistling through the mustache, the way he breathed when he wasn't going to wake up till high noon. He'd been asleep since he came in at dawn, and she'd never known anything to wake him up in mid-morning when he'd been drinking all night, had she? Now was certainly the time."

What do you think? Would you keep reading?

A review is coming soon!



10 comments:

  1. Oooh, I like that opening! Have never read Patricia Highsmith... need to remedy that soon. Great cover, too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh yes, I'd keep reading . . .

    My Tuesday intro: http://www.bookclublibrarian.com/2015/07/first-chapter-first-paragraph-111.html

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds like she's up to no good. LOL I love the sound of this. I would definitely keep reading.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'd keep reading. I want to know if she really does and what the consequences are.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like the sound of this one! I'd keep reading...

    ReplyDelete
  6. I LOVE the intro and would like to read this one of something by Highsmith. enjoy

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great opener! I haven't yet read this author, but I must....thanks for sharing, and for visiting my blog.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Most definitely. I love short stories, though I don't read them a lot. Intriguing opening, and the writing is solid!

    ReplyDelete