Tuesday, July 14, 2015

First Chapter First Paragraph Tuesday Intros: The Cornish Coast Murder


Happy Tuesday! I'm taking part in First Chapter First Paragraph Tuesday Intros, hosted by Diane at Bibliophile by the Sea, where book bloggers share a bit about a book they're reading or thinking of reading soon.

I've started collecting the mysteries from the British Library Crime Classics series. The first for my collection is The Cornish Coast Murder by John Bude, originally published in 1935. I'm planning to read this mystery soon.

The opening paragraph:

"The Reverend Dodd, Vicar of St. Michael's-on-the-Cliff, stood at the window of his comfortable bachelor study looking out into the night. It was raining fitfully, and gusts of wind from off the Atlantic rattled the window-frames and soughed dismally among the sprinkling of gaunt pines which surrounded the Vicarage. It was a threatening night. No moon. But a lowering bank of cloud rested far away on the horizon of the sea, dark against the departing daylight."

From the back cover:

"The Reverend Dodd, vicar of the quiet Cornish village of Boscawen, spends his evenings reading detective stories by the fireside--but heaven forbid that the shadow of any real crime should ever fall across his seaside parish. But the vicar's peace is shattered one stormy night when Julius Tregarthan, a secretive and ill-tempered magistrate, is found at his house in Boscawen with a bullet through his head.

The local police inspector is baffled by the complete absence of clues. Luckily for Inspector Bigswell, the Reverend Dodd is on hand, and ready to put his keen understanding of the criminal mind to the test.

This classic mystery novel of the golden age of British crime fiction is set against the vividly described backdrop of a fishing village on Cornwall's Atlantic coast. It is now republished for the first time since the 1930s with an introduction by the award-winning crime writer Martin Edwards."

What do you think? Would you keep reading?

11 comments:

  1. I'd keep on reading. I've read The Lake District Murder by John Bude, which I enjoyed - so I'd like to read this one too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The intro didn't really grab me for this one...

    ReplyDelete
  3. This sounds so interesting. Well, I love books set in Cornwall, so that's a big plus for me. I have been interested in the reprinting of all these vintage mysteries. Will be looking for your reaction when you read it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm not a big fan of mysteries, especially cozies, but the intro is well written and I think I'd like a vicar who reads detective stories.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I really like the writing style, the blurb is appealing, and the cover is attractive... sounds like a winner to me! I'll keep an eye out for your review.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I saw a display of these books in Waterstone's on Oxford Street in London last September and fell in love with the covers. I purchased two (although I haven't read them yet). I was happy to later find out that they are now available in the US, so I will make it my business to read all of them.

    ReplyDelete
  7. The opening is very descriptive. I'd keep reading!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I bought my first British Library Crime Classic book a few weeks back and can see that I may well be amassing a large collection - silly question, of course I'd keep reading!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sounds ominous; I'd keep reading. Enjoy Monica.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm a total sucker for all mysteries Brit but not familiar with this one. Thanks for the info! (Right now I'm flying -- as much as one can fly with these) through the Bryant and May series by Christopher Fowler and loving each one more!)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love British crime fiction, but haven't read too many of the older authors besides Agatha Christie. This does sound like an author worth checking out.

    ReplyDelete