Tuesday, July 21, 2015

First Chapter First Paragraph Tuesday Intros: Smoke Gets in Your Eyes


Happy Tuesday! As I usually do on Tuesdays, I'm participating in First Chapter First Paragraph Tuesday Intros, hosted by Diane at Bibliophile by the Sea, where bloggers share a bit about a book they're reading or thinking of reading soon.

My selection today is not the kind of book I'd normally pick for myself but a book club read--Smoke Gets in Your Eyes & Other Lessons from the Crematory by Caitlin Doughty (2014). Initially, I wasn't that thrilled to be reading this book, but once I got started, I found it really interesting. There are several things covered in this book, but what I liked was Doughty's look at the history of the funeral industry and how our society deals with death. 

The opening paragraph:

"A girl always remembers the first corpse she shaves. It is the only event in her life more awkward than her first kiss or the loss of her virginity. The hands of time will never move quite so slowly as when you are standing over the dead body of an elderly man with a pink plastic razor in your hand."

What do you think? Would you keep reading?

A review is coming soon!

20 comments:

  1. I have had this book on my list for quite a while. It keeps getting passed over though because I don't really read that much non-fiction. I'm thinking maybe audio. That teaser is funny - black humor. Which I like. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've heard that the audio is really good. I like the black humor, too. :)

      Delete
  2. My initial response was a shudder, but I am coming around to thinking about reading it.

    My Tuesday post: http://www.bookclublibrarian.com/2015/07/first-chapter-first-paragraph-113.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I found that once started reading, the book was really interesting. Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  3. I would definitely keep reading. I know it's probably morbid, but I love books on this subject.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The writing style is really engaging and that overcame my fear of the morbid with this book, and I learned a lot! Thanks for visiting!

      Delete
  4. I've heard great things about this book and that first paragraph is awesome! I'd definitely keep reading...

    ReplyDelete
  5. So melancholy. But I've heard good things about this book and I do wonder what it's like. Anyway, why is she shaving the man if she works in a crematorium? Won't he be cremated? I have my deceased pets cremated and returned in a wooden box; I know that sounds disturbing to some but we do it. That is my only knowledge of how these places work.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There is a lot of detail about what goes on in a crematorium (and also for those who go through the embalming process), and shaving the body is part of the process before someone is cremated. When I first read about it, I thought it was a bit weird, too.

      Delete
  6. This is right up my alley. I'd definitely read this.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have a morbid curiosity about the book. Girl Who Reads

    ReplyDelete
  8. I've already got this one my wish list... great opening!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've got Being Mortal in my TBR pile. It was interesting to see that in this book, Caitlin Doughty mentions Atul Gawande and some of his ideas about geriatric medicine.

      Delete
  9. Wow-- really? Yes, I definitely will read this one. I loved The Removers - about the funeral business.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've heard of The Removers. I'll be on the lookout for that book. Thanks, Diane!

      Delete