Tuesday, July 28, 2015

First Chapter First Paragraph Tuesday Intros: Secrets by Freya North


Happy Tuesday! I'm joining in on First Chapter First Paragraph Tuesday Intros, hosted by Diane at Bibliophile by the Sea, where bloggers share a bit about what they're reading or thinking of reading soon.

One of the books that has been gathering dust on my Kindle and looks like a good summer read is Secrets by Freya North (2012). I'm planning to start the novel this week.

The opening:

"There was something about the way the small red hatchback slunk onto the gravel of the drive, coming to a shuddering standstill as if it was giving up, as if it was about to conk out, that reminded Joe of an animal in need of a rest; some poorly kept pack-horse exhausted from an arduous day's work. He watched through the window of his study, on the ground floor, through the tangle of honeysuckle branches which clambered around that side of the house and provided useful camouflage at moments like this. 

Nothing happened for quite some time; whoever was in the car was staying put. Eventually, the car door opened and Joe watched as the woman climbed out. She stared at the house while still clinging to the open door as if it was a shield. She ducked back in and Joe was prepared for her to drive away, for this woman not to be the Tess of the bizarre phone call last night. She looked nothing like the people who had house-sat for him in the past. But she was out of the car again, walking around to the other side of it, opening the door, leaning in, apparently rummaging around."

What do you think? Would you keep reading?


10 comments:

  1. I'd continue. What is she rummaging around for? I'd like to know. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great intro! It delivers just enough information to make me wonder about it....and I am now very curious! Thanks for sharing...and for visiting my blog.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm curious about where the plot is going, but I'm not really digging the writing style. I'd continue a little longer before deciding.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The author did a great job of creating a feeling of uncertainty and suspicion in the opening. I'm curious about Tess and her bizarre phone call so I'd keep reading to find out more.
    Thank you for visiting my blog today.
    Sandy @ TEXAS TWANG

    ReplyDelete
  5. This sounds like one I would like to explore further, know more about before deciding.

    I know about dust collecting on books. One problem I have with my Kindle is having so many unread books on it that I forget what's there.

    ReplyDelete
  6. It does sound like it would make a great summer book. I hope you enjoy it. Girl Who Reads

    ReplyDelete
  7. I would totally keep reading...even without knowing what the book is about. What a great first page. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. What an intriguing intro, I'd read more. This is a new to me title too.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love the cover and title...and the opening paragraphs have me completely curious. I think I'll add this to my TBR list.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I like the cover! Sounds like it could be a great summer read! Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete