Tuesday, August 11, 2015

First Chapter First Paragraph Tuesday Intros: Dandelion Wine by Ray Bradbury


Happy Tuesday! Welcome to First Chapter First Paragraph Tuesday Intros, hosted by Diane at Bibliophile by the Sea, where bloggers share the first chapter or two of a book they are reading or thinking of reading soon.

My selection is Ray Bradbury's autobiographical story of a twelve-year-old boy's magical small town summer, Dandelion Wine, originally published in 1957. I plan to start reading this book soon.

The opening:

"It was a quiet morning, the town covered over with darkness and at ease in bed. Summer gathered in the weather, the wind had the proper touch, the breathing of the world was long and warm and slow. You had only to rise, lean from our window, and know that this indeed was the first real time of freedom and living, this was the first morning of summer.

Douglas Spaulding, twelve, freshly wakened, let summer idle him on its early-morning stream. Lying in this third-story cupola bedroom, he felt the tall power it gave him, riding high in the June wind, the grandest tower in town. At night, when the trees washed together, he flashed his gaze like a beacon from this lighthouse in all directions over swarming seas of elm and oak and maple. Now . . ."

What do you think? Would you keep reading?


18 comments:

  1. I'd keep going, as I've been wanting to read this classic Bradbury for a long time.

    My Tuesday post: http://www.bookclublibrarian.com/2015/08/first-chapter-first-paragraph-116.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm ashamed to say how long I've had this book and have yet to read it! Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  2. I've been wanting to read this too! I actually started it once, but it just wasn't the right time. Someday I'll get back to it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I read Farewell Summer last year, but somehow I've never gotten around to this book. Thanks for your comment!

      Delete
  3. I've read sci-fi stories by this author, but somehow I've missed this book. It sounds delightful.
    My Tuesday post features THE LAND OF MANGO SUNSETS.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really like the author's writing style. I haven't read anything by Bradbury other than Fahrenheit 451, which I liked quite a bit. I wouldn't mind reading something else by him. I hope you enjoy this one!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I remember reading Martian Chronicles in school. I've read Farewell Summer and Something Wicked This Way Comes, and this book has been in my TBR pile for quite sometime. Fahrenheit 451 is a book that I've had for awhile but haven't tried yet. Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  5. I read this a million years ago and remember liking it, though I barely remember the story.

    ReplyDelete
  6. The language is lovely...it drew me right in. Thanks for sharing...and here's mine: “X: (KINSEY MILLHONE BOOK #24)”


    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for visiting today, Laurel! I agree about the language.

      Delete
  7. Yes, I'd continue. I agree that the language is lovely and descriptive. I've not ever read a Bradbury book. I know, awful right? Maybe one day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not awful. It's just that there are only so many hours in the day and too many books to read! :)

      Delete
  8. I love the writing and the cover! Nice pick Monica

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love the look of the cover, too. Thanks, Diane!

      Delete