Tuesday, August 18, 2015

First Chapter First Paragraph Tuesday Intros: Rules of Civility


Happy Tuesday and welcome to First Chapter First Paragraph Tuesday Intros, hosted by Diane at Bibliophile by the Sea where book bloggers share a bit about what they're reading or planning to read soon.

I may be one of the few people who hasn't read Rules of Civility by Amor Towles (2011). I picked up this novel earlier this year at a book sale, and I'm planning to read it soon.

The opening:

"It was the last night of 1937.

With no better plans or prospects, my roommate Eve had dragged me back to The Hotspot, a wishfully named nightclub in Greenwich Village that was four feet underground."

From the back cover:

"On the last night of 1937, twenty-five-year-old Katey Kontent is in a second-rate Greenwich Village jazz bar when Tinker Grey, a handsome banker, happens to sit at the neighboring table. This chance encounter and its startling consequences propel her on a yearlong journey, toward the upper echelons of New York society--where she will have little to rely upon other than a bracing wit and her own brand of cool nerve."

What do you think? Would you keep reading?

9 comments:

  1. I remember reading about this book a while back - a couple of years maybe? I love the cover. So, so vintage. Let us know what you think about it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I absolutely loved this book when I read it a few years ago. The prose and dialogue were wonderful. Hope you love it too.

    My Tuesday post: http://www.bookclublibrarian.com/2015/08/first-chapter-first-paragraph-117.html

    ReplyDelete
  3. I haven't read it either, Monica...but it sounds very tempting. Love that era....and the excerpt seems to hint at danger, or at least adventure. Thanks for sharing...and here's mine: “THE SUMMER GIRLS”


    ReplyDelete
  4. I am not familiar with this book. It does sound interesting though. I love the time period--and the opening you shared. I will have to look for it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love, loved this book! Definitely keep reading!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Mmm...I read this book a couple of years ago and really liked it. But then, I love that time period. I hope you enjoy it!

    ReplyDelete