Wednesday, September 2, 2015

Favorite Authors at the Moment

Top left: Nancy Mitford; Top center: Barbara Pym; Top right: Mary Stewart
Lower left: Elizabeth Taylor; Lower center: Edith Wharton; Lower right: Virginia Woolf

I have an ongoing list of authors who whose writing I love so much that I want to read everything they've written. 

Here are my top six favorites at the moment:

Nancy Mitford (1904-1973)

Barbara Pym (1913-1980) 

Mary Stewart (1916-2014) 

Elizabeth Taylor (1912-1975)

Edith Wharton (1862-1937)

Virginia Woolf (1882-1941)

These authors are each so unique. What they have in common for me is that their writing speaks to me. When I'm reading something that's really well-written, it affects me all the way to my soul like a good piece of music. That's what I feel when reading the work of any of these women, especially with Edith Wharton and Virginia Woolf.

Who are the authors whose writing speaks to you?

10 comments:

  1. Fabulous list and photos. Such amazing, talent women. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wharton and Pym are two of my favorites, too! I haven't read enough Woolf or Stewart to consider them favorites... yet. And both Elizabeth Taylor and Nancy Mitford are on my shelf just waiting to be discovered.

    I seem to be infatuated with Anthony Trollope right now :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, JoAnn! Yes, I can certainly understand the lure of Anthony Trollope. I was at a book sale last weekend and found myself buying The Warden and Barchester Towers . . . :)

      Delete
  3. I like how you added "at the moment' since our favorites can change. Pym speaks to me too. Also C.S. Lewis, Angela Thirkell and Anthony Trollope. I read a brilliant book about the Mitford sisters called Sisters so maybe I will read some of the books they wrote.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have Sisters, but I haven't read it yet. I actually have a TBR pile of Mitford books! LOL Angela Thirkell is a writer that I haven't read yet, but she's on my list. Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  4. Great list! I love Woolf and Wharton, Stewart and Pym, too. Other authors I might add? Maybe Barbara Michaels/Elizabeth Peters. Or Rosamunde Pilcher. I love their novels, too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Someone gave me Rosamunde Pilcher's September years ago, and it's still sitting on my bookshelf. Might be a good time for me to read it!

      Delete
  5. I also love Pym, Stewart, Taylor and Woolf. I would add Dorothy Whipple, Mollie Panter-Downes, Sarah Waters and Willa Cather to my list.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't read any Dorothy Whipple although I've read about her. I'm not familiar with Mollie Panter-Downes, and I'm interested to know about her work. Thanks for your comment!

      Delete