Tuesday, September 1, 2015

First Chapter First Paragraph Tuesday Intros: Seventh Heaven by Alice Hoffman


Happy Tuesday! It's hard to believe that it's September already. That was a fast summer! 

Welcome to First Chapter First Paragraph Tuesday Intros, hosted by Diane at Bibliophile by the Sea, in which book bloggers share a bit about what they're reading or about to read soon.

I haven't read anything by Alice Hoffman yet, but I picked up Seventh Heaven (1990) awhile back at a book sale, and the book is one I plan on reading soon.

The opening:

"1959

1

In the Country of the King

Late in August, three crows took up residence in the chimney of the corner house on Hemlock Street. In the mornings they set up a racket that could wake the dead. They picked up stones in their beaks and tossed them down at picture windows; they plucked out their feathers, which would surface all day long in odd places, in bowls of Cheerios, in the pockets of shirts drying on laundry lines, inside glass milk bottles delivered at dawn."

From Goodreads:

"Nora Silk doesn't really fit in on Hemlock Street, where every house looks the same. She's divorced. She wears a charm bracelet and high heels and red toreador pants. And the way she raises her kids is scandalous. But as time passes, the neighbors start having second thoughts about Nora. The women's apprehension evolves into admiration. The men's lust evolves into awe. The children are drawn to her in ways they can't explain. And everyone on this little street in 1959 Long Island seems to sense the possibilities and perils of a different kind of future when they look at Nora Silk . . . This extraordinary novel by the author of The River King and Local Girls takes us back to a time when the exotic both terrified and intrigued us, and despite our most desperate attempts, our passions and secrets remained a stubbornly alive as the weeds in our well-trimmed lawns."

What do you think? Would you keep reading?

12 comments:

  1. I like the blurb and the intro although I've had mixed success with Alice Hoffman in the past, I'd like to know more.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I thought, from the title, that I had read this one...but now I think not. Now I definitely want to know more, as I love characters like Nora, and how everyone looks askance...and then they begin to change their tune. The descriptions are great!

    Thanks for sharing...and here's mine: “DRIVING LESSONS”

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it is intriguing, and I love the time period, too.

      Delete
  3. I've heard good things about Alice Hoffman, so I'd keep reading even though the intro didn't really grab me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was tempted to include the second paragraph because I liked it better. I've heard good things about Alice Hoffman, too, so I'm interested to see what this book will be like.

      Delete
  4. I love Alice Hoffman's writing style and just her name alone piques my interest. Nora sounds like an interesting character and I want to get to know her more. I like the intro quite a bit too--I can just imagine finding a crow's feather on my desk when I turn around. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! I have to admit I spent some time wondering how a crow's feather could appear in a bottle of milk! LOL

      Delete
  5. I read this one a long time ago, I like Hoffman, but some of her novels work better than others with me for sure. Hope you like this one.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I never read this author before. It sounds like a good book.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I read all of Hoffman's early books during a binge when I first discovered her writing. I'm now rediscovering her through some of her newer novels.

    ReplyDelete