Tuesday, September 29, 2015

First Chapter First Paragraph Tuesday Intros: Angle of Repose by Wallace Stegner


Hello and Happy Tuesday! Since it's Tuesday, it's time for First Chapter First Paragraph Tuesday Intros, hosted by Diane at Bibliophile by the Sea, where bloggers share a bit about a book they're reading or planning to read soon.

A couple of weeks ago, when my husband and I were in Rhinebeck, New York, we stopped by Oblong Books & Music. It's a great bookstore. I really liked their selection of books, and there were lots of staff recommendations. I came across a recommendation of Angle of Repose by Wallace Stegner (1971) and was reminded of my own copy that has been on my bookshelf for far too long.

From the back cover:

"Wallace Stegner's Pulitzer-winning novel is a story of discovery--personal, historical, and geographical. Confined to a wheelchair, retired historian Lyman Ward sets out to write his grandparents' remarkable story, chronicling their days spent carving civilization into the surface of America's western frontier. But his research reveals even more about his own life than he's willing to admit. What emerges is an enthralling portrait of four generations in the life of an American family."

The opening:

"Grass Valley

1

Now I believe they will leave me alone. Obviously Rodman came up hoping to find evidence of my incompetence--though how an incompetent could have got this place renovated, moved his library up, and got himself transported to it without arousing suspicion of his watchful children, ought to be a hard one for Rodman to answer. I take some pride in the way I managed all that. And he went away this afternoon without a scrap of what he would call data.

So tonight I can sit here with the tape recorder whirring no more noisily than electrified time, and say into the microphone the place and date of a sort of beginning and a sort of return: Zodiac Cottage, Grass Valley, California, April 12, 1970."

What do you think? Would you keep reading?


17 comments:

  1. I do like the sound of this one...and would continue reading. May have to look for a copy myself...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's been awhile since I read anything by Wallace Stegner, but I do like his writing.

      Delete
  2. I feel sure I have this book somewhere, but I haven't read it. It has been recommended by several people.
    Thank you for visiting my blog today.
    Sandy @ TEXAS TWANG

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad to hear that you've had recommendations for the book!

      Delete
  3. Oh, the setting alone would draw me in! I love Grass Valley, CA...and almost moved there! My kids threw a fit. And this was when they were grown-ups. But they could see their babysitter leaving...LOL.

    I haven't yet read this author, but I like the sound of this one. Thanks for sharing and for visiting my blog.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Grass Valley does sound like a beautiful place. Thanks for stopping by, Laurel!

      Delete
  4. I definitely like the start of this one, Monica; I love that he's a little snarky and I do want to find out where this is going! Thanks so much for sharing this one and what a great experience at a local bookstore!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do love an independent bookstore! Thanks for your comment!

      Delete
  5. I love Wallace Stegner and Rhinebeck, too! Angle of Repose is wonderful... almost as good as Crossing to Safety. Enjoy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the recommendation. I really loved Crossing to Safety.

      Delete
  6. Obviously it did because I've red this book. JoAnn is right, it's wonderful and Crossing to Safety also.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your thoughts on Angle of Repose! I read Crossing to Safety years ago and really loved it.

      Delete
  7. I love the way this author writes, I'd keep reading even though I'm pretty sure I read this years ago.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love Wallace Stegner's writing, too. It's been too long since I've read one of his novels.

      Delete
  8. Replies
    1. Thanks, Sarah! This opening looks very promising, and I'm looking forward to reading this novel.

      Delete
  9. I think I would keep reading as it has me intrigued.

    ReplyDelete