Wednesday, September 9, 2015

Taking Part in the RIP X Challenge

Image used with permission, property of Abigail Larson.

I am a little late to the party, but I'm excited to be joining the R.eaders I.bibing P.eril Challenge for the first time! The Estella Society is the place to find out about this challenge which lasts until October 31.

I'll be taking part in Peril the Second--reading two books that fall within the R.I.P. categories, and Peril of the Short Story.

For Peril of the Short Story, I'll be reading:

Ghost Stories by Edith Wharton
Short Stories by Wilkie Collins. I couldn't resist these stories what with titles like "Cauldron of Oil" and "A Terribly Strange Bed" and "The Fatal Cradle." 
The Man in the Picture by Susan Hill.

I'm still deciding what I'll read for Peril the Second. On my bookshelves, there are many more possibilities than I realized! 

Up for consideration:

Behind A Mask by Louisa May Alcott
Northanger Abbey by Jane Austen
Tenant of Wildfell Hall by Anne Bronte
Cornish Coast Mystery by John Bude
N or M? by Agatha Christie
Miss or Mrs?, The Haunted Hotel, and The Guilty River, novellas by Wilkie Collins
Frankenstein by Mary Shelley
Airs Above Ground by Mary Stewart

Decisions, decisions! I may be reading more than two novels. 

Are you taking part in the RIP X Challenge?

8 comments:

  1. You have some great selections there! I'll put a good word in for The Tenant of Wildfell Hall, which I read many years ago but was very pleasantly surprised that "a Bronte book I'd never heard of" was so good. A book club I'm in read Frankenstein earlier this year and it resulted in one of the best book club discussions I've ever been to. I'll be reading mostly short stories (and I have read a couple Wharton ones and "A Terribly Strange Bed" by Collins - you're in for a treat there). Good luck with the challenge!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for sharing your thoughts, bibliophilica! I've had Frankenstein on my bookshelf for years, and it's time for me to read it!

      Delete
  2. Northanger Abbey and The Tenant of Wildfell Hall are definite classics! The first is hilarious, the second harrowing and sad. The Cornish Coast Mystery is for real devotees of the golden age mystery; I found it a bit stiff and contrived. I confess that I've read hardly any Agatha Christie. Maybe I should make up for that this year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have so many Agatha Christie novels. I keep picking them up at book sales and need to start reading them. Thanks for your recommendations on Northanger Abbey, The Tenant of Wildfell Hall and The Cornish Coast Mystery!

      Delete
  3. This challenge is such fun. You have some good contenders lined up.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm excited about this challenge. And I'll look forward to your selections!

      Delete
  4. Welcome to the party! The Tenant of Wildfell Hall is one of my favorites... not sure why Anne doesn't receive as much attention as her sisters.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, JoAnn! Glad to hear that you like The Tenant of Wildfell Hall. I'm looking forward to getting started on it.

      Delete