Tuesday, October 13, 2015

First Chapter First Paragraph Tuesday Intros: Wilkie Collins


Happy Tuesday! I've taken a bit of an unplanned break from the blog thanks to a couple of big projects at work and the joys of home renovation projects. As far as reading goes, I've been reading some novellas and short stories lately which brings me to my selection for today for First Chapter First Paragraph Tuesday Intros, hosted by Diane at Bibliophile by the Sea. Bloggers share the first paragraph or more about a book they're reading or thinking of reading soon.

I'm getting into the Halloween spirit, so I've been reading a book of novellas by Wilkie Collins. I've finished Miss or Mrs? which was excellent, and I've started The Haunted Hotel. Here is the opening for The Haunted Hotel:

"In the year 1860, the reputation of Dr. Wybrow as a London physician reached its highest point. It was reported on good authority that he was in receipt of one of the largest incomes derived from the practice of medicine in modern times.

One afternoon, towards the close of the London season, the doctor had just taken his luncheon after a specially hard morning's work in his consulting room, and with a formidable list of visits to patients at their own houses to fill up the rest of his day--when the servant announced that a lady wished to speak to him.

'Who is she?' the Doctor asked. 'A stranger?'

'Yes, sir.'

Amazon describes The Haunted Hotel as "a thrilling tale of mysterious women and blood-drenched conspiracies. Set amidst the picturesque palaces and waterways of 19th century Venice, Collins's suspenseful novelette recounts an obsessed countess's attempts to thwart what she perceives as her fatal destiny."

What do you think? Would you keep reading?


9 comments:

  1. Novellas would be wonderful right about now... I seem to have unwittingly taken on a couple of Trollope chunksters! The Haunted Hotel has been a possible RIP selection for the past couple of years, but I've never heard of Miss or Mrs. It sounds good. Have you read any of Collins novels? I loved The Moonstone and enjoyed The Woman in White, too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the Venice setting and would definitely keep reading. When life gets complicated, I like to read short stories and novellas too.
    My Tuesday post features Skinny Dip

    ReplyDelete
  3. I normally don't choose scary/creepy books for Halloween reading. Short stories and novellas are great when time is short.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm not a huge fan of the creepy, Halloween type books that tend to get popular in October, so would probably pass on this one.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I hope the home renovations your projects at work are going well. I loved The Woman in White and have been wanting to read more by Collins. I would definitely give this collection a try.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think this is the perfect October pick Monica - I'd stick with it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. A collection of novellas sounds really tempting. Thanks for sharing...and for visiting my blog.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I don't think I would pick this one up for myself, but I know someone who would and I can't wait to tell her about it! Thanks so much for sharing this one, Monica; hope you enjoy it!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Monica, I did read this one! It is a good creepy tale for this time of year.

    ReplyDelete