Tuesday, October 20, 2015

First Chapter First Paragraph Tuesday Intros: The End of the Affair


Happy Tuesday! Each Tuesday, Diane at Bibliophile by the Sea hosts First Chapter First Paragraph Tuesday Intros in which bloggers share a bit about what they're reading or planning to read soon. 

As if I didn't have enough books already, I went to a used book sale this past Saturday and couldn't resist coming away with several books to add to my ever growing TBR pile. One of those books was Graham Greene's The End of the Affair.

The opening:

Chapter 1

"A story has no beginning or end; arbitrarily one chooses that moment of experience from which to look back or from which to look ahead. I say 'one chooses' with the inaccurate pride of a professional writer who--when he has been seriously noted at all--has been praised for his technical ability; but do I in fact of my own will choose that black wet January night on the Common in 1946, the sight of Henry Miles slanting across the wide river of rain, or did these images choose me? It is convenient, it is correct according to the rules of my craft, to begin just there, but if I had believed then in a God, I could also have believed in a hand plucking at my elbow, a suggestion--'Speak to him; he hasn't seen you yet.'"

What do you think? Would you keep reading?

15 comments:

  1. Not sure if I'd continue, as it's not the style I usually choose, but it is an intriguing opening for sure!
    Here's my Teaser/Intro for the week: http://justasecondblog.blogspot.com/2015/10/teaser-tuesdaysfirst-chapter-first_20.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oooh, it sounds like a great start, Monica; what a great find, too! I would definitely keep reading; sounds like a great fall/winter selection.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's hard to pass up a book sale, isn't it? I don't think I would have been able to either. I'm glad you found some books to bring home.

    This one does sound good. I would definitely keep reading after the intro you shared.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I saw the movie, but I've often thought about reading the book. The excerpt really made me think....a book I would choose when in the right mood for it. Thanks for sharing and enjoy. And thanks for visiting my blog.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I read this a million years ago. I can't remember what I thought of it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. That's an intriguing opening! This sounds like the kind of book that you can't rush through, so I'd have to be in the right frame of mind to read it.
    Thank you for stopping by my blog today.
    Sandy @ TEXAS TWANG

    ReplyDelete
  7. Fantastic, YES, I would continue reading.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Who can pass up a used book sale? I wasn't a fan of this when I read it more than a decade ago, but loved the audio last year... or maybe the year before. I'm sure Colin Firth's narration had something to do with it ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Book sales! My favorite thing in the whole world! I think I would keep reading.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I think you got lucky at the book sale! This is my favorite Graham Greene novel. Hope you enjoy it!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love the intro and this one is on my self unread. Hope you love this one.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I think I'd keep reading. It sounds good.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I read this one years ago. I did not know it was made into a movie.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I read this last year and absolutely loved it - great choice and I hope you do too.

    ReplyDelete