Tuesday, October 27, 2015

First Chapter First Paragraph Tuesday Intros: The Ghost Stories of Edith Wharton

Happy Tuesday! Today I'm taking part in First Chapter First Paragraph Tuesday Intros, hosted by Diane at Bibliophile by the Sea, where bloggers share a bit about what they're reading or planning to read soon.

This past week, I've been reading The Ghost Stories of Edith Wharton. This collection is made up of eleven wonderfully written short stories. I wanted to share a little of "Bewitched," one of my favorite the collection:

"The snow was still falling thickly when Orrin Bosworth, who farmed the land south of Lonetop, drove up in his cutter to Saul Rutledge's gate. He was surprised to see two other cutters ahead of him. From them descended two muffled figures. Bosworth, with increasing surprise, recognized Deacon Hibben, from North Ashmore, and Sylvester Brand, the widower, from the old Bearcliff farm on the way to Lonetop.

It was not often that anybody in Hemlock County entered Saul Rutledge's gate, least of all in the dead of winter, and summoned (as Bosworth, at any rate, had been) by Mrs. Rutledge, who passed, even in that unsocial region, for a woman of cold manners and solitary character. The situation was enough to excite the curiosity of a less imaginative man than Orrin Bosworth."

What do you think? Would you keep reading?



11 comments:

  1. Not my usual read, but it does seem to call to me...perhaps it's the time of year for something a little spooky. Thanks for sharing, and here's mine: “THE PERFECT STRANGER”

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the writing Monica; yes, I'd keep reading It sounds perfect for this time of year.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Not something I would usually pick up for myself, but it sounds like a great read. Girl Who Reads

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love ghost stories! This sounds like a great way to sample the author's work if you haven't read her before--which I haven't. I will have to look for this one.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm not a big ghost person, so would probably not continue with this one...but great pick for the season!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I like the way the story unfolds slowly -- the snowy setting and the effect of the unexpected men on the unimaginative man. Sounds like a good book to read at Halloween.
    Thank you for stopping by my blog.
    Sandy @ TEXAS TWANG

    ReplyDelete
  7. A perfect choice for this week! I love Edith... should pull out my copy and read a few myself :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. This sounds like the perfect read with Halloween so close . . .

    ReplyDelete
  9. I had no idea that Edith Wharton wrote any ghost stories. The things you learn. And, I'd go a little further in the story, but I'm thinking it might not be to my exact taste. You never know though. Henry James' Turn Of The Screw is one of the scariest stories I know about. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  10. I would read on, wanting to know where the ghost comes in. I didn't know Wharton wrote ghost stories either!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm not a great fan of ghost stories but this one is strangely appealing

    ReplyDelete